Chapter 05

"You and I get so damn dysfunctional,
we start keeping score."
One More Night - Maroon 5

" One More Night - Maroon 5

The wind floods in around me, almost ripping the papers in my hands away but I clutch them tightly to my chest as I hurry down the many stone walkways that thread around campus.

My phone vibrates in the pockets of my cardigan, and I manage to pull it out, briefly glancing at the screen to see a text from Naya from our roommate group chat that they added me into.

Naya: meet me outside the cafe?

I'm heading there for my usual cup of coffee after classes anyway, so I slip my phone back into my pocket and keep walking. Naya bumps her hip against mine in greeting, and I listen to her chatter about a girl she's been crushing on as we both walk into the cafe. We make a straight beeline to our usual booth, and I halt in my steps, almost making Naya bump into me when I see who's at the usual booth.

My pulse roars in my ears, surprise bolting through my body as I blink a few times, trying to comprehend what I'm seeing.

As if sensing my gaze on her, Nessa looks up, green eyes widening when they lock with mine. "Oh my god, Luna?"

That catches everyone's attention at the table. Alex, Leo, Hunter and Kiara all turn in my direction, and I see everyone except Alex's expression morph into surprise as they take me in.

They're all here. Fuck.

Swallowing thickly and trying to ignore the way my stomach is roiling, I pull the edges of my lips in a small smile. "Hey?"

Naya steps around me, looking confused as ever. "You guys know each other?"

Leo and Hunter are still blinking at me like they can't believe I'm standing a few inches away from me, but Kiara and Nessa get over their initial shock sooner. Alex looks like she's still trying to piece everything together.

"Yeah," Nessa exhales, her bright green eyes the same as I remember, studying me from head to toe again. "We went to highschool together."

"Join us." Kiara gestures, and scoots over.

They were my friends. They were nice to me. It's fine.

Chanting that over and over again in my head, I slip into the booth with Naya, finding myself sitting right across Leo and next to Nessa.

"I can't believe you're here! It's been so long." Nessa smiles warmly, and I feel some of the tension leave my body.

"What are the odds?" Kiara laughs, a little shakily, and the familiarity of her laugh sends warmth in my chest. We used to laugh at everything and anything together.

"Man... It's so good to see you." Leo's voice makes me look towards him, and I smile back at him, feeling more and more at ease.

"Me too." I respond, and my eyes go over to Hunter, who's still watching me. "Hey Hunt."