Chapter 02

"My mind feels like a foreign land."
Arcade - Duncan Laurence

My sneakers squeak against the smooth concrete pavement as we walk down the street, towards the back gates of the university.

Winter is approaching, and my surroundings are clearly showing it. The crisp autumn air, and the orange and yellow leaves on the ground, sweeping away by the chilly breezes.

Once we walk past the gates, we follow one of the many stone walkways that wind across the lavish lawns of the university. North Regal is beautiful, with large patches of green grassy lawns for students to lounge around during the summer and spring, cement tables and stools dotted around the place under huge oak trees to study under the shade. The buildings are a mix of modern and old architecture, some completely old fashioned with columns and marble floors and others modern with floor to ceiling windows and classic interior. It doesn't feel like we're in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the world inside here, because the university is so full of nature.

The soft breeze ruffles Naya's curly brown hair, and she blows it away from her eyes. We walk in silence, shoulder to shoulder, until we finally approach the campus cafe they were talking about.

Even from outside, the cafe seems incredibly comfy and cosy. The front wall of the cafe is entirely made of glass, and I can see dozens of students milling around inside. We walk inside, and I'm immediately hit with the delicious aroma of coffee and cakes. Pop music is playing through small overhead speakers, mixing in with the chatter and the laughter of everyone here. It seems like an ideal place to just hang out or take a breather, I already know that this is going to be my spot.

After ordering some food at the counter, Naya offers to bring them over and tells us to go find a table. Me and Chloe find a booth at the corner, pressed up against the glass wall. Sliding into the booth, I exhale, looking around.

In the booth adjacent to us, a brunette girl sits by herself, sketching on a notebook. I notice her because of how pretty she is, with bright green eyes and soft features. The pale pink sundress she's wearing makes her look even more attractive, and I can't help but admire her beauty.

Chloe, who's sitting across from me, notices my interest, and looks in the direction of where I'm looking. Her face lights up.

"Alex!"

The brunette girl looks up at the sound of her name, a gorgeous smile breaking out on her lips, and she gets to her feet, gathering her stuff and walking over to us.

"Join us," Chloe gestures to the empty seat next to her, and Alex sits, her eyes finally meeting mine.

"Alex, this is Luna. Our new roommate, she just transferred here." Chloe introduces, and Alex's smile only widens warmly.

"Hey there," Her voice is gentle, laced with a heavy British accent.

"Hi," I respond, my own smile growing. "You're really pretty."

Alex's cheeks flush, and she tilts her head. "Thank you. So are you." She pauses to tuck her books into her bag. "Chloe said you transferred? From where?"

"California. I got a scholarship and couldn't pass up the opportunity." I say, shrugging.

"Really? I transferred here last year, from London."

"Oh, cool. I sensed the accent." I chuckle, and soon, me and Alex are chattering away, talking about my move. Alex is extremely easy to talk to, and the way she speaks just makes me want to shut up and listen to her forever. There's just something about her.

"What do you study?" Alex asks me, stirring her iced tea.

"Fashion and Art." I reply, and her jade green eyes lighten up.