Chapter 01

"Push the limit, no, you ain't good enough."
Kiss Me More — Doja Cat

Sometimes, you open up a chapter in your life, being so sure that you'll see it to the end

That's what I thought when I enrolled in California State. I was sure I'd walk out of there four years later, in a graduation gown.

But yet, here I am, standing on the front porch of my new home, surrounded by my suitcases and boxes, waiting for one of my roommates that I'm yet to meet to open the door so I can start my junior year of college at North Regal University in New York City in two days.

I grew up in New York. I love it here.

But why does it feel like something the farthest from home then?

The house looks just like in the pictures I saw a few months ago when I was looking for a place to stay, and it's quite impressive for a house that's meant for university housing. It's three stories high, painted stark white, with a small lawn and a wooden porch. The windows are large, probably letting in lots of natural light inside.

My eyes drift over to the house next door, and my eyebrows raise. It definitely looks like one of the most expensive looking houses in the entire neighbourhood, with modern, sleek architecture, floor to ceiling windows, and I think I can see a pool in the backyard. I'm pondering what kind of students would be able to afford a house like that as I look over the rest of the street.

I was told that the entire neighbourhood behind North Regal University consists of housing for the students, from frat houses to just rentals, and even now I can see people walking in and out of the back gates of the university that lead into this street. My thoughts are cut short when the door pulls open, revealing a tall brunette girl, with sharp blue eyes and brown skin that contrasts against her thick brown hair.

She's clad in sweats and a hoodie, and a pretty smile blossoms on her full lips when she sees me. "You must be Luna, hi! I'm Naya."

I mimic her smile, pushing my nervousness to the back of my head as I respond, "Yeah, hey."

"So cool to finally meet you, come in," She opens the door wider, and then her attention diverts to all the suitcases around me.

"Oh shit, you're gonna need help with those." She says and turns to the inside of the house. "Chloe, get your ass downstairs, she's here!"

Before I can tell her that I can manage on my own, I hear the thump of footsteps coming down the stairs, until a pretty blonde Asian girl with neon pink highlights, and big hazel eyes peering up at me. My other roommate.

"Meet our new roommate!" Naya grins, and  Chloe steps forward to shake my hand, and I can't help but be in awe at how gorgeous her features are.

I knew their names and ages, but I never saw pictures. I certainly didn't expect the two of them to look like models. My hand reaches up to pat down my own raven black hair, suddenly feeling self-conscious. It was a long drive from California to New York. I probably look like a train wreck in my white joggers and crumpled baby blue sweater. My new roommates don't seem to care though, chattering animatedly with me as we lug all my stuff inside, asking me how my drive was, and how long it took me to come here.