Chapter 14: Broken and Burnned

My eyes fluttered open and I looked around to see I was in a hospital room and bed, Jaxon looked at me and moved away from the window "heeey, how are you feeling" he asked softly. I shrugged and tried to sit up which I failed at miserably "I'm alive, where's the others, where, where are we" I croaked. Jaxon passed me a cup of water which I skulled instantly, Jaxon sat down on the seat beside me "were at a hospital in Vegas, the others went to get something to eat, Alissa hasn't left your side" he reported
"How long have I been out" I asked. Jaxon shrugged letting go a deep breath
"Four days, I took care of our parents, mind powers and stuff, all think were at a friends house" he told.

I smirked "nice one, how's my dad" Jaxon's face darkened and he lowered his head "Denny you have to understand that you did everything you could have done possible" his speech started. I shook my head
"No no no, that's not possible cause I got him out, he was safe, I saw him alive Jaxon" I growled in denial. Jaxon tried to rub my arm but it I chucked it off, tears dripped down my face in waterfalls "you lying, his, his not gone" I cried. He hugged me and I cried into his shoulder completely distraught, he coddling me as I tried to deny the news.

After an hour of crying and fifteen minuets of silence the doctor came in with a saddened face full of sympathy "I'm sorry about what had happened to you Miss Steele but I need to give you a quick check up" she told. I nodded as she made sure I was healthy, two nurses entered the room also taking blood samples and asked doctory questions. The doctor left to get something leaving me with the nurses. They shot saddened looks at me but it didn't register, I looked at them blankly. Alissa and the others had returned but stayed out side.

The nurses left once the doctor returned "well the good news is your very lucky to have escaped without injury, you'll have to stay an extra night so we can make sure your fully ok" she said I turned to Jaxon I need to go home now I told knowing he was reading thoughts.

He nodded and looked at the doctor "she can be discharged now" he told, the doctor smiled "well sweetie I'll discharge you so you are free to go, good luck" she said while walking away like it was her idea to do so. I didn't care about it though, it was hollow words, I was feeling numb physically and mentally, I didn't care about anything right now, and all I knew was that I felt hollow and broken.

Once I got dressed in new clothes Alissa bought for me I was discharged, we traveled our way, Alissa had figured out a way to travel in her orb force field. I stopped in front of my house looking at the mailbox, Jaxon looked at me slightly green "I'll see you soon hey" he said. I nodded
"Yeah, maybe" I told, he knew I didn't want to talk so he walked down the street.

I approached my front door which opened it's self for me, mum starred at me with puffy eyes streaked in tear tracks "did you hear what happened" she asked. I nodded "the pigs told me at Alissa's" I told, mum nodded as I walked through the house and approached the stairs "did you want to talk" she asked I shook my head "I just want to be alone" I told. Mum didn't push, I walked to my door and closed it.

I kicked a skate board wheel at the wall and chucked a bunch of papers off my desk, I turned to a mirror but barely recognised my self. I was pissed to say least, I should have died but I didn't, I was burnt beyond recognisable and as I looked at the reflection I couldn't recognise my self. My skin was soft and clear, if someone looked at me they wouldn't know something was wrong unless they saw my eyes which was dark and lifeless instead of a lively green.

I punched the mirror and cracked it instantly, my knuckles stung as glass moved it's self out of my skin. I sat in my swivel chair and looked out of my window, the world was moving on. Yes the sky was dark and ready to storm and the wind picked up and moved through the trees but the world never did stop, I was practically here forever in an ever moving world, never to age. I feared what would become off me in distant centuries after I've lost everyone, will I become distant and cold never able to be recognised by the world forever wondering it's surface mournfully never to smile again or will I welcome any sort of death and pain that will come my way, waiting for the one turn of events that death will finally take me away to those I love.

Yes these where the things that filled my thoughts as I looked out of my window, I breathed in deeply trying to shake the horrible feeling at the pit of my stomach that was there to stay. I rummaged through my draw to find my Swiss Army knife he gave to me, I flicked open the blade and ran my thumb on the sharp end. It helped to feel that but I didn't bother with my wrist or legs, no my thumb was satisfactory as I could be in a deep thought as I continued the subconscious rubbing of my thumb.

The rain trickled onto my window casting shadows across my room, I couldn't stop my self from falling asleep after hearing the sound of rain on the glass so I wiped off my blood soaken knife and thumb and leaned back in the office chair. Closing my eyes I flashed back to those last words I heard him say, goodbye Denny. A single tear escaped my eye as my mind wandered into darkness that was sleep.

AN: this was by far one of the saddest, deepest and weirdly enough one of my favourite moments of the book. It shows a significant change in Denny that will change her view of life forever (literally). But poor Denny losing her dad, I'm evil I know.