𝗍 𝗐 𝖾 𝗇 𝗍 𝗒 - 𝗌 𝗂 𝗑

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

❝ a new world is gunning for you ❞

•••

Reggie smiled as he played the bass along with his band. Sophie and Dean nodded their heads to the beat of the music while Dean tapped the girl’s thigh to the rhythm of the music. Sophie was excited about finally getting to see Reggie’s band, Sunset Curve, perform even if it was just a rehearsal. The team had practice when the band would be performing tonight so the band agreed to let Sophie and Dean watch their rehearsal.

“How was that?” Luke, the lead singer of the band, asked the couple once they played the final note of the song.

“That was my favorite song you guys played,” Sophie smiled.

The band smiled at each other as they set down their instruments and made their way to sit down with the couple. They were currently sitting in the garage at Bobby, the rhythm guitarist, grandparent’s house. He lived with the older couple which worked out for the band as the noise didn’t bother them.

“Are you guys excited for your last game tomorrow?” Alex, the drummer, asked as he sat across from the hockey players.

Dean nodded while looking over at Sophie.

“I’m more nervous than anything. Last time we played against Iceland, we got our asses handed to us. Us and Julie got thrown out of the game for things that weren’t even our fault. That stupid ref ran into Dean’s arm and blamed him. The Iceland jerks were being misogynistic and they called a penalty on me for something an Iceland player clearly did. I just, this means a lot to me and I don’t want the team to be crushed if we lose. Everyone has been looking forward to this,” Sophie rambled on as she played with Dean’s fingers.

“Soph you guys are going to do amazing tomorrow. You’ve done so much to help them improve and there’s no way that Iceland will be able to beat you guys tomorrow,” Reggie reassured the girl as he messed up her hair.

The brunette groaned as she smoothed out her hair while the boys all laughed at her. She rolled her eyes before flicking Dean’s forehead. As much as she faked being annoyed, in that moment she felt at peace. She was with Dean and her new friends and the only thing she was missing at that moment was Fulton and Kenny.

Dean and Sophie spent the next two hours hanging around the band as they talked about anything and everything they could think of. Topics such as favorite bands, favorite shows (Dean had brought up Sophie’s love for Roundhouse), school, and family came up.

The topic of family seemed to make every person in the group tense up and it was quickly forgotten which they all seemed to be thankful for. None of them had the best family life. The band didn’t want to let Dean and Sophie know that and vice versa. Sophie checked the clock that was on the wall and sighed.