𝗇 𝗂 𝗇 𝖾 𝗍 𝖾 𝖾 𝗇

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 NINETEEN

❝ facing total disaster for certain ❞

•••

Sophie knew that Bombay was upset with the team but she never imagined he'd ditch their game. The team had been waiting for what felt like hours for their coach to show up and even Mr. Tibbles had come down to talk to the team. Running her hands through her hair, Sophie groaned.

"Team USA,I'm sorry but without a coach behind the bench, you'll have to forfeit the game," one of the refs had made their way to the team's bench.

The entire team started looking at each other in panic. THey couldn't go home just because Bombay ditched them. Looking between her teammates, Sophie sighed and looked up at the ref.

"Mr. ref sir, I have a question," Sophie raised her hand slightly as she pushed between Adam and Charlie slightly.

She was aware of the eyes from her team members on her. She was nervous about what the refs answer would be but she had to at least try for her team. When the ref nodded for her to continue, Sophie cleared her throat slightly.

"Well I'm our team's, um, what's the word? I'm sort of like our team's designated assistant coach and I was wondering if I could step up to be our coach. They're stuck in traffic because they had an emergency but they'll be here. So could I step in for them in the meantime?" Sophie asked as she fiddled with her fingers.

"I'm sorry but you have to be over the age of eighteen to coach in this tournament. I'm truly sorry," the ref frowned at the girl.

Sophie's shoulders dropped as she took in what the ref had said. She looked over at Charlie to see him looking towards the stands, staring at someone. Sophie let out a relieved sigh as Charlie turned back to the ref.

"She's here! I'll be right back," Charlie informed the ref before skating over to where Ms. Mackay was standing behind the glass.

While watching Charlie and their tutor converse, Sophie reached for Kenny's pinky and locked hers around his. The boy gave the girl's finger a gentle squeeze as the whole team watched their captain and Ms. Mackay in anticipation. The ref skated over to where the pair were talking and looked at them expectantly.

"What are you waiting for, The ice to freeze? Let's play!" Ms. Mackay called out, looking at the team. 

Sophie cheered as Adam and Kenny high fived her. Sophie quickly hugged Charlie when he skated back to the team. The team quickly got back into game mode and began to focus on the task at hand.

Charlie volunteered to spend more time on the bench so Sophie could finally get some play time and she could not have been more grateful for the boy. The girl was sure she had thanked the boy a solid dozen times before she made it onto the ice, each time Charlie responded with a chuckle and "you're welcome". 

Sophie was skated a little ways behind Guy when he got shoved by one of the Germany players. As the boy stole the puck from Guy, Sophie skated towards him and stole the puck right back while shoving her shoulder into the guy's chest. She heard him huff before she got too far away and passed it to Dwayne. Sadly one of the Germany players intercepted it and skated towards the USA goal. 

"Change it up!"

Sophie smiled as she saw Ms. Mackay's adorable little smile, realizing she was getting the hang of coaching. The girl stayed on the ice while the others traded out. Her and the guys that had just traded onto the ice were getting ready for face off when they heard a noise. It sounded similar to a duck call causing everyone to look at the sound. 

"Look who finally shows up," Fulton said as he looked to see Bombay.

"No way guys. Just ignore him. Averman you take the face off, alright?" Jesse said as he turned to look at the small group of them on the ice.

Charlie and Sophie looked at each other with hope in their eyes. They wanted to hear what Bombay had to say but at the same time didn't want to get on the bad side of the rest of the team. Especially Sophie after the incident in the locker room. As the other three went to their places on the ice, Charlie and Sophie looked to where Bombay was making his way to the Team USA bench. 

Bombay blew the duck call again causing Sophie to sigh. She knew he more than likely had a change of heart but she knew that the rest of the team had no idea about what her and Charlie had done to help the man out. The girl looked to the bench to see Dean and Julie share a look and shake their heads. 

She wasn't sure why but Sophie felt a pang in her chest. If that note hadn't been put in her locker, then she would have wanted to switch out and that could have been her that was sharing a look with Dean. She knew it was stupid but she couldn't help but feel upset about it. 

"Come on, what do we have to lose?" Sophie asked the others as they came up to her and Charlie. 

"Respect. He'll dump us the minute it's all over," Fulton told his sister as he shook his head. 

Bombay called the group on the ice in causing Sophie to sigh. She looked between her brother and Charlie before skating over to the bench when she saw Bombay kiss Ms. Mackay's cheek. Hey she's a sucker when it comes to cute things and the smile on her tutor's face was adorable. Sophie was right behind Charlie as they skated to the bench. 

The entire team gathered around their coach as he looked at them all. Sophie turned her head slightly to look at Dean but he refused to look her way. Bombay began to address the team but stopped, bending down to their level. 

"Guys, I was wrong, and I'm sorry. I forgot about the team and the team is all I have. All I want is another chance," Bombay began his little speal. "Just one more shot. I'm back, okay? Believe me. And Sophie, thank you so much for what you've done while I was being an idiot. Jan told me about everything when he knocked some sense into me." 

Sophie stood with her arms crossed, staring at the man. She looked over at Charlie who gave her a pleading look, knowing most of the team would budge if she did. She then looked at Fulton who was on her other side who nodded his head. The girl turned to look at her coach and narrowed her eyes. 

"If you're ever an idiot ever again I get one free punch," Sophie said as she cracked a smile. 

Bombay laughed before agreeing with her. The team seemed to feel most of the tension between everyone drift away once Bombay apologised but everyone still felt the tension between Dean and Sophie. The pair wouldn't look at each other anymore and even though he had just returned, Bombay could tell that something bad had happened between the pair.

Sophie watched from the bench while she switched out with Guy. The girl knew she needed a break and Bombay promised he'd let her play more often especially for longer than thirty seconds. She smiled when Jesse called out the flying V after being convinced by Charlie and Goldberg.

The girl and Kenny stood side by side and cheered when Averman scored. Kenny pulled her in for a hug, lifting her off the ground slightly. Sophie laughed a bit before her best friend sat her down. The team was excited to celebrate their win but knew something had to be done about Dean and Sophie.