~ 7 ~

"I really, really don't trust them," Seungyoun said again as soon as they were out on the streets, walking together. 

"They seem fine," Eunha said, shrugging and looking unconcerned. "Actually, they seem perfect." 

"A little too perfect," Seungyoun mumbled. "When things seem too good to be true, they usually are," he said. "What do you even know about any of these men? Say they actually did come from the book... How far did you even read? I can't find any spoilers about them online." 

"I only read a little bit," Dasom admitted. "So far they've just been taking the main character out on dates and stuff." 

Eunha nodded, "that's about where I am too," she said. 

"Let's find the book and check towards the end of it," Seungyoun said, leading them towards the library. "Then we can see if they're dangerous or not, I guess." 

Dasom thought that seemed like a good, reasonable idea. But when they got to the library, they didn't have the book. None of the librarians knew what book they were talking about. The three of them headed to the neighborhood bookstore next, but they also didn't have it, which made no sense. It was the most popular book nowadays, it should have been everywhere. But it was nowhere to be seen. 

In fact, no one seemed to know it existed. 

"Guys," Seungyoun said in horror, staring at his phone. When the salesperson at the bookstore looked at them like they were crazy when they asked about the book, they decided to search it online and see if they could figure out if there were any available in the area. Judging by the look on Seungyoun's face, that plan had not worked out. 

"What is it?" Dasom asked softly when he failed to offer up anything else. 

His phone slipped out of his hand. Eunha yelped, jumping forward and catching it, her body crashing into Seungyoun's, snapping him out of his daze. He put his hands on her shoulders, steadying her and looking at the two of them. 

"The book doesn't exist," he finally whispered. "All records of it online are gone. No one is talking about it on social media, not like before. There's no mention of it. It just... disappeared."

"What?" Dasom said, feeling as though all the air had been knocked out of her. She grabbed the phone out of Eunha's hand, searching the book and finding that what Seungyoun said was right. She handed the phone back to Eunha, suddenly feeling dizzy.  

No one knew the book existed. 

"But... how?" she mumbled, scratching her head. "They did it," she said firmly, thinking about the twelve boys in her apartment. "They must have. But... how? That shouldn't be possible. That's not possible." 

"Before, I would have also said that characters escaping their books was impossible, but here we are," Seungyoun pointed out. His hands were still gripping Eunha's shoulders, though he didn't seem to realize it. Eunha didn't seem to either, she was staring at Seungyoun's phone, confusion, and fear written all over her face. 

"You were out with one of them today," Seungyoun said, turning to Dasom, letting go of Eunha and taking back his phone. 

"Yeah, Sangyeon met me after work," she said slowly. 

"What happened? What did you guys do?" Seungyoun asked urgently, and she realized that he was in his detective mode. 

"We just... walked together," she said, thinking back to their interactions. "And he got excited when he saw the makeup store. He wanted me to buy red lipstick and wear it because it's his favorite color." 

Seungyoun frowned, writing that down on his phone. "That's all?"

"That's all," she confirmed. 

He sighed. "That doesn't give us much information at all," he said. "This doesn't feel safe. Not one bit. Why don't you stay with me for a while?" he said urgently. Seungyoun glanced down at Eunha. "You too," he added. "I feel like we're all in danger." 

"I can't move in with you," Eunha said awkwardly. "We literally just became friends. That feels uncomfortable. Plus, I doubt I'm in danger," she said optimistically. 

"I can't move in either," Dasom said, her voice firm. "Then they'll get suspicious, and then it might really be dangerous."

Seungyoun bit his lip, looking at the two girls. "I don't like this one bit," he mumbled. "You better call me right away if anything strange happens," he insisted. "Give me your number," he said, handing his phone to Eunha. She typed it in and gave the phone back to him. "I texted you, so you have my number now too," he told her. 

"I mean it," Seungyoun said, looking at them intently. "No matter how small it may seem, if anything seems wrong just call me, and I'll be there. Okay?"