Chapter 3: Foolish Jians

The Jian bird, also known as birds that fly together. A mythical bird that needs a partner to fly, to synchronize their movements, to keep each other company, to help each other survive...

...

What a foolish, foolish animal...
It can't even survive on its own.
Its existence is utterly, utterly meaningless.

-------------------------------------------

Location: APE Strategic HQ

Papa: So they are nearing the surge location. We should expect a report from Dr. Franxx soon.

Vice-Chairman: Hm. Yes, we shall. Now that we are onto this topic, Hachi and Nana have reported that Code-002 has recently been acting strangely. The report states her constant agitation while they are nearing the surge location. She still puts on a probable facade when the members of Squad 13 are present.

Baboon: Hmm. What could this mean?

Vice-Chairman: That girl can smell a Klaxosaur from very far away. If she smells something else instead of a Klaxosaur, we are to assume that whatever caused this surge is alive. 

This sprouted some questions with the council members, but sadly, most of those questions won't be able to be answered.

Vice-Chairman: If Code-002 really detects something around and is agitated by this, causing her some mild paranoia, we will need to adjust the timing of our plans to make room for this project.

Papa: Hm. It seems we won't have a choice. Whatever we find there, we must use it to our advantage. If a creature is alive and it came from the surge, then we must exploit it. We shall continue until we reach results. 

Vice-Chairman: Our theory on a possible living being in the surge was further reinforced by the fact that the team we sent out to artificially plant magma energy pockets in the location of the surge have never returned.

Lemur: That answers the question I was about to ask.

Papa: On another note, the area of which no communications can be established is now to be code-named Surge Zone.

Then the regular business was discussed next.

[Scene Change]

Location: Mobile Plantation 13 - Briefing Room

After Dr. Franxx's arrival on Plantation 13, the currently on standby Squad 13 were being briefed on their orders from Dr. Franxx. Hachi explains to them the situation they're about to be in.

Hachi: Squad 13, under the orders of Dr. Franxx, you are to go on an expedition to find sources of magma energy. Search for any signs of pockets of magma energy. If you find anything that seems else that seemed important or notable, please report to us when you return.

This raised a question from Ichigo.

Ichigo: Hachi, why do we need to report to you when we return? Won't we be able to tell you through the Franxx's communications?

Nana: That is why Dr. Franxx has assigned Squad 13 for the expedition. The scouting team Dr. Franxx sent informed him that communications are being blocked beyond a certain point.

As usual, Zero Two was at the back of the briefing room leaning against a wall. Zero Two's doubts have been slightly confirmed. Something is stopping them from communicating. This means they won't be able to talk to each other through their comms unit. Zero Two's face is one of worry and agitation, with her fangs exposed while she grits her teeth.

Zero Two: Tch.

Hiro: Zero Two? Is something wrong?

Zero Two remains silent with a shadow covering her face. Hiro speaks to Zero Two in an understanding tone.