𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓

Beginne am Anfang

Outside were the other Grisha and soldiers. They had switched turns who could rest in the carriage with Astra and the Darkling. It had been a long journey already and they still had a whole journey ahead of them.

"Maybe we can switch again, I think Artemis must be tired of all the riding." Clive said eventually without looking away from Artemis. "Amirah, you can switch, can you?" Amirah looked up and gave an offensive glare Clive's way. "Why me? Coretha has sat here longer."

Coretha, the unfamiliar person beside Astra. She had beautiful red hair and slight green eyes. She looked young, very young, maybe younger than Astra or it could be the Grisha genes. She was wearing a purple kefta with gray embroidery. She was a Durast from the Matherealki order.

"And besides, you sat here the longest. Maybe you should be a good gentleman and ask her if she wants your place." Amirah continued.

"Switch or don't switch, but decide now." The Darkling finally interrupted. When he spoke up, it was the first time he had looked away from Astra. She had noticed his stares and he knew. He didn't show any sign of reason when staring but his pale gray eyes were directed at her and inspected every dot, scar, spot, and imperfection.

It was only a day ago since their talk and Astra felt a huge change. She didn't desire his blood on her hands anymore, she craved his presence. She had at first no idea where this new feeling came from but when she thought about it, thought about the thing she should forget, she desired his touch.

She wanted to feel like she had done in the cave again, so powerful, so bright, so useful, so frightening... And she would never forget his face after she had touched him, his constant repeating of 'Don't let them touch you'. She would ask eventually what he had meant and what it was in the cave.

They sat in the carriage for a really long time, it was almost dusk. Astra had ridden the last miles on a horse. She had been desperate to get out of that small hot carriage. The cold breezes and air had been a pleasure to her skin. She rode with Artemis, who kindly declined Clive's offer of switching.

Clive had a thing for Artemis, it was well known over the whole Little and Grand Palace. Artemis knew it too. She wasn't blind, just never seemed to think that way. She never liked Clive's self-esteem but even Astra saw her jealous looks when people talked about Clive in a loving way.

She spotted the premade tents and rode a little faster. She dismounted her horse and sat on the bench before a little fire. Guards were walking around the place, Grisha made their way into the tents after a whole day riding and others took a seat around the fire as Astra had.

"Nice kefta, why are your shadows so bright?" A Grisha asked eventually. Astra looked for the first time at her brand new kefta. It was still black but the embroidery was almost white. She tried to hide the shock on her face, why would he risk hiding the sun summoner now? "My shadows are a bit brighter than the Darkling's." Astra said with a laugh.

People smiled and some laughed with her, but Lilith interrupted their fun. "Why not show your shadows? We all here have seen the Darkling his shadows, why can't we see your brighter shadows."

Astra had come to the understanding that Lilith would not give up. She would make every second of Astra's life miserable. And she had no reason at all. But as the silence had struck and Astra had to bite her tongue if she didn't want a civil war between them, she wouldn't be the one to react.

However, her presence with the others at the little palace had paid up. Another Inferni, someone who normally followed Lilith around, spoke up. "It's well known that the Darkling didn't want her to show off her powers." Lilith gave a glare towards the Inferni but didn't react.