Not your model minority

A model minority is a minority demographic whose members are perceived as achieving a higher degree of socioeconomic success than the average population.

This success is typically measured by educational attainment; representation in managerial and professional occupations; and household income, along with other socioeconomic indicators such as low criminality and high family/marital stability.

A common misconception is that the affected communities typically take pride in being labeled as a model minority.

However, the model minority  stereotype is considered detrimental to relevant minority communities as it is used to justify the exclusion of such groups in the distribution of public and private assistance programs, as well as to understate or slight the achievements of individuals within that minority.

One of the earliest uses of the term model minority was in the 9 January 1966 edition of The New York Times Magazine by sociologist William Petersen to describe Asian Americans as ethnic minorities who, despite marginalization, have achieved success in the United States. In his essay titled "Success Story: Japanese American Style", he wrote that the Japanese cultures have strong work ethics and family values which, consequently, lift them above "problem minorities" Peterson believed that the success of Asian Americans paralleled that of Jewish Americans. A similar article about Chinese Americans was published in U.S. News & World Report in December 1966.

However, Asian Americans at the time were also marginalized and racially segregated in America, thus also representing lower economic levels while facing social issues just as other racial and ethnic minorities.  Possible reasons as to why Asian Americans were used by White America as this image of a model minority include their smaller population; the view of Asian Americans as having been less of a "threat" to White America due to a general lack of political activism against racism; the success of their numerous (mostly small) businesses in their segregated communities; and the fact that Chinese, Japanese, and Filipino Americans met the national average equaling Whites in terms of education of the time.

"Politicians won't talk about our community's needs if they assume people don't require assistance."

The model minority stereotype is emotionally damaging to many Asians, since there are unjustified expectations to live up to stereotypes of high achievement.

The pressures to live up to the model minority image have taken a tremendous mental and psychological toll on younger Asians in the western world.

The model minority image can lead "underachieving" Asian students to minimise their own difficulties and experience anxiety or psychological distress about their academic difficulties.

A study has shown that Asian students also have more negative attitudes toward seeking academic or psychological help due to fear of shattering the high expectations of teachers, parents, and classmates.

The model minority is just a myth.