Chapter 7

In the evening I had to force myself to go down and eat with my whole family. I wasn't very hungry even though I skipped lunch. As usual, my nemesis was waiting for me right outside the room.
"So? Another poor deluded girl fall into the spider web?"
Marika asked scornfully as she looked at her red-lacquered nails.
"But weren't you 'deluded' too?"
"Honey, I had more chances rather... I HAVE more chances than you."
"I don't want to talk to you now."
"Why? Afraid of the truth? Oh ... don't tell me you fell in love with it? Poor."
She burst out laughing and so, seized by a blind rage, I grabbed her by the hair and threw her against the wall; she, shocked by my answer, took my arm and yanked hard. I kept pulling her hair, as if I wanted to pull it out. Suddenly our mother arrived and promptly divided us.
"What are you doing?"
"She started it."
Immediately my sister accused me, playing the role of the perfect victim and, of course, my mother would have believed her, taking on the role of executioner.
It was useless to argue, because for her it would always be my fault.
"Selene, you have to stop ..."
"Selene Selene Selene, it's always my fault for you. You know what? Do as you please, believe her. "
"Selene, come here."
I retreated to my room completely ignoring her and picked up the phone. I didn't want to talk to anyone but her.
"Ready?"
"Hi Ecate, it's me."
"Hi Selene, what's up?"
"I ... I wanted to talk to you."
"Yes sure, where?"
"At the beach."
"See you there in half an hour."
I got dressed and managed to get out of the window undisturbed. She wasn't very tall and above all I didn't have that sore between my feet.
When I reached the meeting place, I headed for the waterfront.
"Marika again?"
I nodded to that familiar voice approaching me. He sighed and I meet his gaze so that words are not needed to express the experience that happened before. I loved how words were not needed with her, how it was all so simple.
"Do you like this place?"
"Yes it has a strange aura of ... mystery."
"When we moved here we discovered that this place was hiding a story, a legend."
"Really?"
"Yup."
"What are you talking about?"
She began to narrate keeping her gaze fixed on the reflection of the moon.
"It is said that this was originally not a beach but a promontory. There were two young people: a young strix and a merman, they loved each other with a transcendental love that few can understand, it was a love that went beyond the body, touched the soul and made the heart smile. They could not consume that ardent love because neither of them could touch, touch, caress; one day they decided to turn to an ancient sorcerer of the area who granted their wishes: she asked for the tail and he for the legs but they committed a serious mistake, which cost them very dearly. She threw herself into the water, ignoring the sea that tore at her skin and when she dived she could no longer breathe: she hadn't asked for the gills. He on earth, with the wind whipping his skin, choked from the presence of air he had never tasted. These never managed to join, it seems that, in the eternal struggle between Eros and Thanatos, the latter had won. The wind carried their desperate cries that filled the air of nights and days until, one summer evening, the sea swelled to the point of forming a huge wave, the earth trembled and it sank and the waters lapped the soil. Since then, water and earth never joined in that way, as if this was enough for those unfortunate souls, a simple lack of the boundaries of eternity that awaited them. From that day on, love had completely won and this is how the place was called 'The beach of Eros'. if you are in love, just close your eyes and let yourself be lulled by the winds, you can still hear the cries of joy of those lovers now reunited. "
I was barked by the beauty of the story and turned to her, whose face was streaked with a tear and was holding a pendant with a ruby ​​in the middle.
"You ... have you ever been in love?"
"Once upon a time... but if I could go back, even if it hurt me, I'd do it a thousand more times. Talk to Ares and don't listen to what your sister tells you, whoever is inferior to you will always judge you. "
He turned and walked away, leaving me alone with myself. I closed my eyes and heard the whisper of the wind. I felt a squeeze in my heart, love was this, a tearing feeling that lives by virtue of pain. I know that I will love him as I know that I will hate him but he can never be indifferent to me, I can feel hate, love, passion, desire but never indifference. As long as I was alive I would have fought for this love, for better or for worse, love is always worth defending. I decided that this time I would go where my heart would lead me, already knowing the aim.