Chapter 44

Mia's POV

The morning sun lit the room with brightness, making me scrunch my eyes shut at the effect it had on me. Ugh, it's too bright.

"Get up." The voice had me on high alert, pushing myself off the bed, readying myself in a stance position. "You have an 1 hour with Miles today, and only in an hour can you be with him."

"Where is he?"

Killian opens the door and in runs Miles, arms in front of him as he wrapped his arms around my leg. Tears poured down his face, and I'm instantly on my knees, looking at his face and body for any sign of injuries.

"He's just scared," Killian assured me. "No one laid a finger on him like I promised."

I nearly told him he could shove his promise up his ass, but I was thankful he ended being truthful about his promise this time. I only dread when it would stop.

"You have an hour with each other." He left the room.

My hands wiped away the tears that still lingered in Mile's face, offering him a smile that did nothing but cry even more.

"Shh," cradling him in my arms, I brought us to the bed, laying the blanket over us. "Do you want to hear a story?" I asked, in hope to calm him down and forget the situation at the moment.

He nods and wipes the tears away himself. "No monsters."

"No monsters," I reply. "Are you ready?"

He nods.

"Once upon a time, there lived a prince. He was very happy with his life, always smiling to everyone that approached him. He would pray to those of poor and to those of riches. He would pray no matter the situation. He loved his people very much and they loved him dearly too. One day, when the prince was sleeping, he heard a crash outside his bedroom door. Several thoughts had started to go inside his mind, wondering of what such could have caused the noise. Of course he went and took a look himself, knowing that fear would not get the best of him. He trailed the sound, stopping in front of bad guys that had broken down a window. They threatened him into giving them golds, after golds, after golds. But the prince refused. He would not let no one bully him into doing something that made him sad. He would make his people proud and defend them until his last breath."

I find Miles looking at me with genuine curiosity after. "What happened next?"

"Well, the thieves was soon caught after and everyone praised the king for not giving up on them. He was happy that everyone was happy and safe themselves. It was only a matter of time before another trouble meets the Prince's path, but he promised himself that he would stand his ground and protect his people. The end."

Miles seems to be in deep thought when he finally says, "I want to be like the Prince. I want mommy and daddy to be proud of me. I want you to be proud of me and everyone else," he says it with great confidence.

My sweet nephew. "I'm already proud of you, silly."

"But I want you to be more prouder of me, Auntie. So so big."

"You can't change my mind of being even prouder of you for being so brave."

He tilts his head to the side, confused. "But I'm not brave, Auntie. I always cry."

Pressing a kiss on his forehead, I smile. "You're much braver than you think, Miles. You may cry at some problems, but no matter what, you will always find a solution like the Prince. Because heroes never give up."

"You think I'm a hero?" He asked with a big smile.

"Of course I do. The bravest hero I've ever met."