Preface

Preface:

I sat on the couch with my feet stretched out on the table and the television on. I had to babysit on my day off. Well, too bad. I'm tired.

"Aunty," I groaned, agitated. "Aunty!"

"Yes, Caidan?" I asked, the small green eyed, brown-skinned, seven old boy. "What?"

"We're hungry and you haven't fed us all day." He complained.

I shrugged, "make something to eat."

"I'm only seven!" He screeched, forcing me to clasps my hands over my ears. "And there's nothing in the refrigerator."

I glared at him before sitting up. "Go get dress, little boy. Tell your sisters, too." If only their parents' brought them some food, we wouldn't have a problem.

I stood up from the couch and slipped on my sneakers. Grabbing my keys off the coffee table I headed up the stairs to get a cardigan. I'm sure it wasn't freezing, living in California I doubt it, but at least I'm prepared for any weather.

Looking down at my watch, I noticed it wasn't too late. Just fifty minutes to five. I have enough time to walk them to get something to eat and come back without any trouble.

"Kids, come on, please."

Mia, my oldest niece, came downstairs first.

"I wish you were old enough to drive." I mumbled to her.

She always bragged about how she was old enough to drive and all that. Well, News Reality Check for you Mia, you need your permit first before you can actually take the driving test.

"If only you had a car." She replied back. Ouch, touché, Little One, touché.

"Kids, hurry up before it gets too dark."

I slowly walked to the front door of my condo when I heard their small feet tumbling down the stairs.

Cailyn, Caidan's twin sister, turned the corner first; then he followed. I opened the door and ushered them out of the house before locking the door after us.

Having them walk ahead of me, holding hands, while Mia stayed behind listening to her music on her cell phone.

"Aye!" I called out to the hyperactive, seven-year-old children in front of me. "Don't play near the street and don't run at all."

They shared a look then giggled. "Yeah, okay, Aunty."

I pointed my index finger at them while squinting my eyes. "I'm not playing with you two."

We continued walking on the sidewalk until we stopped at McDonald's. They ran to the counter and began spilling their orders. Mia walked passed me and ordered her food.

"-And what may you have, ma'am?" The cashier asked me.

I scanned over the menu before looking down at her. "I'll have three chocolate cookies, and a number two, please."

"What drink would you like?"

I thought for a minute. "Mango Smoothie."

She nodded while pressing on the key pad in front of her.

"That'll be twenty-five fifty."

I glared at the little kids. What could they have possibly ordered to make it go passed ten dollars?

I reached in my pocketbook and grabbed a thirty dollars then handed it to the cashier.

"Keep the change." Cailyn said.