The Missing Cat

❤💛

This has been inspired by an AO3 one-shot... I've forgotten what it's called but it's bkdk...

Hope you enjoy!

AU:
College
No quirks
Warnings:
None

[Kaminari's POV]

It was odd, how my first ever, and maybe only, romantic encounter had started.

I was walking the neighbourhood one day when I saw a few printed posters taped clumsily onto a few tree trunks and lamp posts. What stood out to me the most, in particular, was the small, rather-fluffy Birman cat, curled up into a ball and held by a pair of sturdy arms.

I never got myself a cat. My apartment had strict rules, and 'no pets' were one of them. But I have a huge passion for those cute and feisty pets.

I could tell that this cat was no older than a year, the one eye it had open glinting cerulean in the photograph. Most of its face, however, was nuzzled into the warmth of the body beside it, which had mostly been cropped out.

My heart broke when I read the 'MISSING' text at the top in bold writing, a number and an email also typed out at the bottom. I take down one of the posters and take a photo of another, just in case. I then head back home.

I cleared up about fifteen minutes of my schedule for the next few days to come, spending every second of that time looking for soft, white fur, or frightened, cobalt irises. Maybe a few weeks after peering into trash cans and crouching under cars, I could hear the sounds of soft mewls in the direction of a small alleyway. It was under a dumpster, glaring when I had approached it. There was no doubt that coaxing it to comply with me was going to be a challenge.

I tried cooing to it once I'd crouched down.

"Here kitty kitty kitty!"

But it just resulted in the cat hissing at me.

I then tried to move the dumpster, but damn was it heavy, and I had no upper body strength!

It took me a while to remember that I had went shopping moments before I started searching, and that I had a small tin of sardines in my bag. I didn't mind sacrificing a few of those fish to somewhat help this cat from reuniting itself with its owner.

With just the sound of a tin being clicked open, I could hear the cat sniffling at the air, its little nose sticking out into vulnerability. I then take a few steps back, holding the sardine out to let it get a better smell of it. The cat looked sceptical about the form of bribery but, with a rumbling stomach that had eaten nothing but carcasses from somewhere at the bottom of a bin, it had reluctantly crawled out. It licks, nibbles, bites and then chomps at the fish, not wasting a second to devour it.

I figured the plan was working and give it another fish to eat as my other hand cautiously comes through a path the cat could see, my fingers just about threading through its fur, a little matted down but still full of fluffiness.

I give it a final fish before tossing the empty tin into the dumpster, bending down to cautiously pick it up, one of my hands automatically moving to groom its fur and scratch behind its ear, which visibly seemed to be one of its sweet spots.

It smelt bad. It made sense, since the cat had literally been under a dumpster in a cramped and damp alley. So I thought, before handing it back to the owner, I would wash it.

And that's what I did.

I went back to my apartment (sneaking the cat in was a bit of a challenge), remembering to text the owner that I had found their cat and that I was washing it. I didn't get an immediate response, but I thought it would be best to start now so the reunion could quickly happen.