THIRTY SIX

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX - YOUR SISTER IS IN RUINS.

(01/07/2021)

"Your Grace, Lady Whistledown has written in her gossip sheet. I believe you should read this."

Simon took the gossip sheet from his butlers hands, brows frowned as he read what the gossiping bitch had written once again about his sweet wife. He had expected her to stay off the gossip sheet, considering she was now married and away from any secrets that could unveil themselves.

"Get the carriage ready." The words left his mouth with a sigh, he needed to see her before anything got worse.

"Dear readers,

We once remember a young Calista leave town for the countryside after the tragic death of Lord Edmund Bridgerton. It has came to my attention that Calista may have left for another reason. Her relationship with Lord Ramsey was far more sinful then we cared to imagine. The scrumptious Lord Ramsey has been rumoured to have express his delicious adventures with the newly wedded Duchess of Hastings with his friends over whiskey.  I wonder how the Duke will handle this information, knowing another man has memorised her body so well. Now, we all know about her freckle on her right inner thigh. Perhaps this came to light before he left town, without his bride. I can't pretend that I'm surprised, Calista has always been one for breaking the boundaries but this is absolutely scandalous. Tut tut, Calista, tut tut indeed."

She hadn't thought about the consequences, she assumed there would be none. Everyone knew her sisters were all the complete opposite. The ton craved her attention like a moth to a flame, they had all wanted her yet Lord Ramsey had her before anyone else.

This would be her ruin, society wouldn't accept her and she oddly was okay with that. A rogue Duchess, she thought. She could have strangled Penelope for making her decide between Marinas story or her own- she made the right decision. She was saving her twin from a scandal, right?

There hadn't been a peep, not one sound had left the Bridgerton household. Her thoughts were scattered around aimlessly as she engulfed herself under the covers, regretting what she had done but she needed to do something. She had outed herself, a free spirit who couldn't be tamed. Since the news had hit the streets yesterday morning, she had been scolded as usual by her brothers, her mother was in tears. She hadn't said much, she just took to her room and stayed there in complete silence.

The loud burst of her bedroom door opening was a surprise to say the least, she didn't even bother to peak out from her sheets, wallowing in self pity that she had caused.

"Tell me you didn't do this to yourself." The booming voice of Arthur was heard throughout the house. He surprisingly didn't have a clue until his father had rudely mentioned it over brunch. He wasn't sure if he was angry because Elizabeth had rowed with him or the fact that Calista had completely done this to herself. The voices of her brothers echoed, enraged that Arthur Ramsey stood in her bedroom.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She mumbled.

"Why have you tarnished your reputation. Are you insane?" he asked, voice still raised. He had never breathed a word of her body to anyone, her body had been sacred to him.

He had known right away when he had looked down at the paper, this was her doing for reasons unknown to him. She had always put her siblings first and this time was no different.