THIRTY ONE

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE : RUINED
(03/06/2021)

"You know, I think we should try for a baby."

The words said out loud soaked into his pours, they seeped into his veins as he propped up onto the bed, looking at her with a betrayed look. A bead of sweat slowly rolled down his forehead, a sign of the hot air radiating around the clammy room. He knitted his eyebrows together, unaware that his words had gotten stuck in his throat, unable to speak without stuttering like mad. The words that she had spoke had struck a conflicting feeling.

She had known he didn't wanted children, he had been honest and open about it and she had agreed but now, things were different.

"I-I. Cal-Cal. Lis, this is all v-very sudden." He stammered out, failing to speak without his voice jittering.

"Sudden? We are married." She scoffed at his choice of words. She watched him as he raised from the bed and dressed in a burgundy housecoat that could've made her drool at the sight if the circumstances were different.

"You know I don't want children. End of." He cut her off. She raised an eyebrow at his strong voice which had caused her to stand tall, matching him.

"I thought we could have spoken about this more."

"I will never give the idea of children a thought. Why are you trying to change me?" He asked. A dull pain in her chest at the disappointment as his eyes showed a cold look towards her, he had never looked at her in such way yet she could have cowered under his gaze. She didn't feel loved right now.

"I'm not trying to change you. I didn't want children either until suddenly I felt it. I felt the need in the pit of my stomach. I would like a child sometime in the near future."

Simon sighed at his wife's words, he didn't know how to process them. He had promised his father that there would be no heir and she had known this, yet here she was, spitting out her feelings regarding children as if he was automatically going to turn around and agree with such a silly idea.

He hated his father so much, he wanted to see him squirm in Hell.

"You are dooming us before we have even had a chance to explore one another."

"Dooming us? How the fuck am I dooming us? Obviously I won't bring the idea up again." She retaliated, spitting her venom directly. He wasn't waiting around to hear her anymore. Perhaps he should have stayed, perhaps she could have thought about it from his perspective but she didn't want to. Her need for a baby was too strong.

"I'm not apologising." She muttered under her breath.

"Please, wait. Let's talk about this. Sit down." She raised his voice as he was half way out the frame of the door, ready to leave her be for the night. She couldn't bare to see him leave her, too attached to him to ever let him go.

"Give me my space for now, my love." He lowly replied as he weakly smiled, leaving their shared room. He had tried to be gentle as possible, not wanting to shatter her soul yet it was already shattered. He could see the glint in her eye that she desperately wanted a pregnancy to happen but he couldn't allow it. His mother had died during childbirth, all because his father had pushed for a son for years. She had been belittled and swallowed into a sea of nothingness, she had gone against doctors orders and when she finally was pregnant- She never lived long enough to see her newborn baby for longer than two minutes before his father swiped him up and paraded him around the house like a trophy.

She had heard him leave their townhouse late at night, he must of changed clothes in his study. She rarely found the need to cry, her life was far from perfect but she was happy and content. Until, suddenly, she wasn't. She attempted to sound rational. They had only been married for a month. One month but she knew every inch of Simon, she knew almost everything about him yet he would never allow her into his childhood secrets.

Being such a strong woman, the thought of a child was hard enough to process but she felt the need and she couldn't ignore it. It was making her a madwoman. She wanted a family with her Si.

They were the perfect couple, she had always thought this and it would never change. They were perfect for one another, it was common sense that they were soulmates but this- this was a big change in direction for both of them.

Meanwhile, Simon sat at the gentleman's club with the unexpected company of Anthony Bridgerton, it wasn't his plan to end up drinking with his brother in law but they both needed a drink it seemed.

"What's bothering you?" He asked, swirling his whiskey in his glass. Head sunken, looking like death as he realised that this could be the end of his marriage before it even had time to begin.

"I've fell in love with a Princess." Anthony laughed. When he thought of Augusta, his heart swelled with love. He had been stupid to let Sienna slip through his fingers, he was too proud to admit his feelings out loud for the opera singer but with Augusta, he felt liberated. She was like no other, when he first met her at his sisters wedding, he didn't even know she was a princess. Am unknown face in the crowd. Then she had asked him to dine with her which had caught him off guard but he had accepted her invitation. The rest, he never knew when he fell in love with her. He couldn't pinpoint the exact moment his feelings changed.

"And what's so wrong about that?"

"She wants me to be king."