TEN

CHAPTER TEN - SURPRISED OR WHAT
(08/03/2021)
Edited: 25/08/2022

"Be it shame or slander, seduction or smear, there is but one thing that humbles even the most highly-regarded members of our dear ton... a scandal! Well, dear reader, it should seem that all of Grosvenor Square has been left to ponder a rather scandalous question, indeed. Might one former diamond's
recent fall from grace turn out to be
the most damning scandal of all?"

There was many a question lingering in the Bridgerton household the following morning, a complete shock to the system- Calista and the Duke was the hot topic within the family household walls. They had witty banter all evening during the long three course meal which didn't sit right for Anthony, he didn't like the thought of his old, dear friend setting his sights on his sister- problem was, he had guessed the wrong sister.

Daphne was shunned away to her governess for the whole day, an excuse that she could spend the whole day getting groomed and ready for the Vauxhall party this stressful evening which would surely bring a scandal. The collection of the older siblings minus Daphne gathered in the drawing room beside their mother in a complex situation.

It was almost torturous.

She entered the threshold as silence quickly inhaled the room as they noticed Calista.

"My ears were burning, I decided to see what all the fuss was about?" She informed, huffing- sitting down on comfy chair next to the fireplace staring at her siblings, glancing at her mother so often.

"Tell me, dear sister, have you not learned anything?" Her brother, Anthony sneered.

"Anthony, behave." Her mother demanded, standing up and gently walking near her eldest daughter.

"Your daughter is a light skirt, slowly making her way around all of eligible society." He ranted.

"It was one gentleman, calm down, brother. The vein on your neck is about to pop." She sniggered, almost amused at the dramatics.

"We sent you away for a reason, we covered it up and so should you. Instead, you are blindly following the words of the Duke which I shall not permit. You did the same with Arthur, you shall not repeat history with Simon." Her eldest brother ranted, once again.

"I am sick and tired of you calling my a light skirt. I am no such thing- I was in love. I was so madly in love with one gentleman and you ruined it."

"Calista, maybe you should think about a proposal with Lord Ramsey." Colin attempted to lighten the conversation with an attempt to salvage the never ending constant bickering between his twin sister and brother.

"You can't be serious. Are you mad? First you send me away from him and now, you want me to marry him. As long as it is on your terms. Don't be so absurd." She scoffed, escaping from the seat which she was slowly sinking into.

"Mama, you can't agree with them, surely not."

"Darling, although you know I adore your one in a million personality. You're so bold and strong. You need to search for a husband now, you are more than of age. Look to settle down, not flaunt yourself. Be it Arthur or The Duke of Hastings- you must try."

"This is ridiculous. I was ready to marry Arthur that day. You knew I was prepared to become a good housewife and yet, it took the female pill and a long overdue trip to the countryside to perfect my pianoforte skills to stop me from seeing him. Now, you are asking me to marry the one man that you begged me to keep away from. You all are insane. I don't need a god damn man to succeed or slave after."

She had been sent away for a reason, to escape Arthur Ramsey. Her brothers felt that he wasn't a suitable match since he had treated his sister like a whore and had touched her body before marriage.

All society knew was her father had died, grief overcame her and she needed a break- although that was the tip of the iceberg to send the family into a turmoil of uncertainty.

Arthur and Calista had been madly in love, they had wanted to spend their lives together, they wanted to have children and settle down into Arthur's estate but they were too young, her brothers were too protective to let her out their sights too soon. Once the maids had notified Violet of her daughter not bleeding for two months, that's what it took for all hell to break loose- she was persuaded to take the female pill to end all signs of life and she done it, for the sake of her family. She had aborted the tiny baby growing inside, for the sake of fucking family.

"You will marry Lord Ramsey." Anthony demanded.

"You really think you can sell me off like Daphne?" She scoffed. She would not, she enjoyed being independent. She had grown out of love with her childhood sweetheart- she wanted to be free for the time being.

"Do you really think Arthur will keep his mouth shut about this when he doesn't get what he wants?" Her mother placed her hand on Calista's shoulder, in an attempt to show her compassion.

"Mama, it went more than love, we will forever be friends until the end. I have his heart and he has mines."