SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN - AIN'T YOU SPECIAL
(28/02/2021)

"Dear gentle readers,

when it comes to the eldest Miss Bridgerton, it curiously makes me wonder why our hearts are the most confusing instruments. I begin to wonder how the certain Duke of Hastings will feel about the love triangle which looks to be forming with the loving Lord Ramsey. A little birdie told me, the couple enjoyed a stroll basking in the sun the other day with family present- if it was supposed to be a secret, it isn't anymore. Let it be known, dear reader, that if this bizarre behaviour portends yet another scandal, then be sure that I shall uncover it, for there is nothing
like an excursion into nature to lift the spirits and loosen the tongue.

Yours truly, Lady Whistledown."

"I was not aware, sister, of what Berbrooke attempted. I would have stopped Daphne's engagement otherwise. You should have told me."

"Would you have believed me? With me being a light skirt?" She scoffed, rolling her eyes at Anthony. They were situated at the large table that had been set up for their afternoon outside enjoying the sunshine, the public park was a good way to mingle and be nosey without actually having to mingle as much

"Did you only change your mind
about Lord Berbrooke because another man told you the truth about him? Not because Daphne didn't want to marry him? I can handle myself, Anthony. I would never let a man take advantage of me the way he tried. Plus, I knocked him out, should have seen him on the ground, it was quite smashing." She nudged his shoulder in amusement, something that hadn't expressed in a while, almost too busy disliking each other for the most part.

"I suppose I can let you court Bassett, I know you are too stubborn to let me tell you otherwise. I don't agree with it, he will break your heart." He sighed at the thought of Bassett making Calista cry.

"Like how I broke Arthur's heart? You know brother, Arthur and I are still very good friends. We love each other dearly, when we are together we are happy but we are not meant for one another. He would never let me down, not ever. Let me follow my own heart." She weakly smiled, a heart to heart with Anthony hadn't happened in years. The last time emotion was shown was when she hadn't bled for weeks and the first person who fixed the problem was Anthony. Yes, he had cursed at the innocence lost but he helped her conceal the issue, he got the female pill for her and let Arthur console her after the apparent abortion which was successful. He tried to see eye to eye with Arthur but he was still to blame for everything, they hadn't followed protocol in Society and it angered him that she had put the reputation of the Bridgerton's name in danger.

"I do rather hope you are being careful, Calista. I know you are seeing Arthur." Anthony cringed at the words used, he hated the fact that his little sister wasn't a child anymore, he could no longer protect her from the world.

"I'm not naive, anymore. I know what I am doing."

"Speak of the Devil." She glanced over to her right and gleamed once she saw the Duke walking towards her.

"You are late." She shouted in awe, squinting her eyes at the sunlight blocking her view. He had turned up late but he blessed her morning with the glorious views of himself.

"Apologies." He muttered.

Something was off.