Chapter 33: Death Room

Start from the beginning

"(Y/N)!" I run over and sit at the edge of the bed, "There you are,"

"Kid, you didn't have to come get me," They lower the blanket covering their face and there are tears running all the way down from those symmetrical eyes.

"Look, I don't want to rush you out of here, but Stein isn't the kind of guy who's gonna let you stay in here," I put my hand on their shoulder.

"I don't want to go back to class," I finally notice (Y/N)'s daggers sitting in their hands.

"Here, I've got a better place, we don't have to go back." I wrap my arm around their shoulders and help them to stand up. I wish we could just stay here forever, but it just won't work like that.

"Where are we going?" I don't think they've even been to the Death Room yet, so it won't help to tell them where we're going.

"Somewhere...safer."

I lead them through the halls, staying conscious of their anxiety about the daggers being seen. We walk through the long path surrounded by guillotines, but they barely take notice. (Y/N) is still busy staring at the knives in their hands.

"Hello Kiddo, is something wrong? Oh, something is..." Of course something is wrong, why else would I be in here in the middle of a school day?

"Yes, father. This is (Y/N), they're having a difficult time right now and weren't going to be able to make it through the rest of class." I glare at him to make sure he knows I'm serious. "I brought them here, trusting that you'd allow it."

"Of course!" We stand in silence for a couple seconds without moving.

"Would you like me to leave?"

"Preferably."

He listens, and leaves the two of us alone in the Death Room. I bring (Y/N) over to a chair and help them sit down. I seat myself on the floor in front of them.

"You didn't have to take us both out of class," (Y/N) tells me.

"Of course not, but I was getting pretty tired of some of them. One day off won't hurt. Well, maybe it'll hurt my math grade, but that's alright," I got (Y/N) to smile a bit, so I'm happy.

"I get that they're just trying to be funny, but..." They fiddle with their fingers.

"I get how you feel."

"Thanks for not being like them, I guess," Of course I'm not like them, none of them randomly asked you to move in with them without discussing it without everyone else in their house. None of them have cried in your arms and fallen asleep on you. None of them have had a painfully massive crush on you since your first day.

"Of course," Is all I can manage to say. We're alone, I could totally say it all right now, but I'm just scared.

"Uh, I brought your lunch," I pick up the paper bag and hand it to them.

"Oh, thanks," They start to eat, but stop and ask me, "Do you not have anything?"

"I left mine in the cafeteria,"

"You're telling me you picked up my lunch to bring to me but didn't think to grab your own so you could eat?"

"Didn't we talk about me not being all that smart?"

"Here," (Y/N) hands me an apple out of their lunch. I can't control the smile on my face. Maybe it's more than crushing.

Your POV - Gallow's Manor, Kid's Room

Kid pulls out the chair at his desk for me and rolls over another one from the other side for himself.

"You have no prior knowledge of souls, correct?"

"I know absolutely nothing," I scratch my head, "Oh! I know one thing: A sound soul dwells within a sound mind and sound body!"

"Well, that's a start, I guess?" He laughs at me. He cracks his knuckles and begins lecturing, "Meisters, which are people like you and myself, are warriors who fight and battle with the weapon forms of 'demon weapons', humans who can transform into traditional weapons."

"Like Liz and Patty, right?"

"Yep,"

"Weapons and meisters need to be compatible to work safely and effectively. This depends on personalities as well as something called wavelengths," Kid goes on to explain wavelengths, resonance, meister types, soul perception, wavelength control, and a bunch of rare techniques. At this point my brain is ready to explode.

"There's obviously a lot more to talk about, but I don't want to hurt you,"

"Thanks," I rub my forehead, "I got a little lost, but it makes a little more sense now, too."

"Good to know," He brushes my hair behind my ears and smiles close to my face.

Is he...

"There, now you're more symmetrical,"

Of course not. Don't get your hopes up.