Arrival

"Thomas, this is Philip." His social worker said, gesturing to the other. The man, Philip, had longish sandy blond hair and blue eyes. He wore a green sweater with jeans, holding a black jacket in his arms along with a clipboard that probably had his information on it. He also had a green and white bucket hat, it looked worn but well used.

"Just Phil is fine," The man said with a warm smile, handing Tommy's social worker the clipboard. Phil held his hand out to Tommy. "It is very nice to meet you, Thomas-"

"It's Tommy," Tommy said bitterly, ignoring Phil's extended hand. His social worker shot Phil an apologetic look and said she'd be right back, leaving Phil with Tommy.

"So Tommy, what do you like to do?" Phil asked, his warm smile still present. Tommy ignored him, looking away and crossing his arms. Phil was patient, waiting for a few moments to see if Tommy would say anything. "I like gardening and reading"

Tommy glanced at him, looking Phil up and down cautiously. "That's nice." He said, though it was obvious he didn't care. Phil looked at him expectantly. "I'm not dumb."

"I didn't say you were," Phill said, tilting his head. "Did you think I thought that?" Phil frowned a bit.

"You're talking to me like I'm some kid, I'm not," Tommy said matter of factly. "It's fuckin' stupid." Phil gave a smile.

"I'm sorry, would you like to talk about taxes then, Tommy?" Phil asked, chuckling. Tommy looked away, rolling his eyes but smiled a tiny bit. Maybe this Phil guy wasn't too bad.

"No, that would be worse," Tommy said and Phil laughed, Tommy's social worker walking in and smiling at the two of them.

"I'm glad you two are getting along," She said, Tommy glancing at the small name pin on her chest. 'Betty' it read, so that was her name. She didn't seem like a Betty. Tommy didn't like her. "Here, Thomas, go pack." She said, ignoring his preferred nickname as she gave him a backpack. Tommy frowned at her but snatched the bag out of her hands and walked out of the small room they had been in.

Tommy walked through the halls of the orphanage, kids waving to him and smiling. Two of them were setting something on fire, which he thought was very POGChamp. They had dubbed themselves the Arson Siblings and had helped Tommy prank the adults sometimes. Tommy waved to them, one of them at the window with a magnifying glass in hand and aiming it at a textbook. They waved back as Tommy walked past them and up the stairs to his room.

Tommy got to his room and shoved his clothes into the worn bag. He didn't have much, just clothes and an old disc keychain that his old friend had gotten him. He clipped the keychain to his bag and zipped it up, pulling the bag on and grabbing his coat before running back downstairs. He walked past the flaming textbook and the Arson Siblings getting scolded and made his way back to the room Phil and Betty were in.

He was about to walk in but he heard them talking about him. "Thomas is temperamental, he's been through many homes already. He has been in the system since he was around eight or so." Betty was saying, Phil nodding solemnly. "He has also been reported to have trust issues and has an eating problem by the other caretakers here."

"I see, I have two boys that I adopted a while back," Phil said slowly, Betty humming in acknowledgment. "Both of them were like that when I met them, but they're both so sweet" Phil gave a smile.

Tommy shifted uncomfortably, annoyed that Betty had to even say anything. Phil looked to the door and saw Tommy, immediately smiling.

"Hey, Tommy!" He said, walking towards him. Tommy stepped back wearily, Phil stopping where he was. "I think we're all done here, do you want to go out and grab something to eat before we get home?" Tommy stared at him for a minute, silently wondering if this man was stupid.

"Whatever," Tommy said with a shrug and looked away. Betty sighed, seeming annoyed.

"Tommy don't give Phil an attitude." She scolded, Phil chuckling a bit.

"It's alright, Betty, don't worry about it." He said, "Are we good here? No more paperwork?" Phil smiled and Betty shook her head.

"No," She said and turned to Tommy. "Behave, if you get sent back before the three months is up, I swear Thomas- that will be the fourteenth time." Tommy grinned a bit, glaring.

"What? I have to keep up my reputation around here." He said and Betty rolled her eyes, waving them towards the front door.

"I'll most likely be seeing you, Tommy." She said and looked at Phil. "You have these three months to make a decision." Phil nodded and smiled.

"Thank you," Phil said and headed to the door, looking back to make sure Tommy was following. He held the door open for Tommy, who ignored him as he walked outside. "You excited, Tommy?" Tommy just shrugged, Phil leading him to his car.

Phil got in and gestured for Tommy to do the same. Tommy got in next to Phil, pressing himself against the door, staying as far as possible away from Phil. They were silent as Phil started the car. "So," Tommy said, uncomfortable with the silence. "You have two sons already?"

Phil smiled and nodded. "Yup! Wilbur and Techno, they're excited to meet you." He said and Tommy gave a nod, not listening. "Wilbur loves music- I think you two would get along pretty well. Techno is a bit shy but I'm sure he'd love to have you around too"

Tommy tuned Phil out as the older man rambled about his sons. He stared out the window, it was almost sundown and rain started to sprinkle on the windshield. He sighed and stared off into space, watching the houses as they drove down the street. He looked up as Phil stopped the car at a drive-through, a fast food place ahead of them. Tommy sighed, annoyed. His stomach churned at the thought of food, glaring at Phil as he leaned out the window and ordered food for him and his boys.

Phil looked at Tommy, "You want anything?" He asked and Tommy shook his head, Phil frowning. "Come on- How about something small at least, Tommy?" Tommy groaned.

"Coke," He said and Phil still looked at him expectantly. Tommy sighed, "And a burger, I guess." Tommy crossed his arms, Phill looking pleased, and relayed the order to the lady through the speaker. The car moved forward and waited for their food, Tommy turned away from the scent of food as Phil took the bags of food from the lady at the window.

"Thank you!" Phil said and closed the window, putting the food down on the middle console and looking at Tommy. "We'll be home soon but you can eat now if you want" Phil smiled at Tommy and started driving again. Tommy eyed to food with distaste but grabbed his soda, sipping on it as they drove. He caught Phil's glance, him seeming somewhat proud. Bullshit.

They pulled up in front of a nice-looking house. From what Tommy could see in the dark, the house was a green color, the trimmings of the windows painted white. Phil got out of the car and grabbed the bags of fast food and locked the car door. Tommy got out, shrugging on his bag and drinking his soda as he followed Phil to the front door.