Deal With It

I keep my lips sucked into my mouth as I head downstairs. Somehow I feel as though if I keep my lips hidden, no on will be able to see Emma there. It's stupid but it makes the knots in my stomach loosen enough to know that I'm hungry. I don't feel the need to vomit anymore.

As I step foot into the dining room I spot Mariam's profile, and I immediately spin around. I may be hungry but I'm not that hungry. Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough.

"Cas?"

I still just outside the dining room and hold my breath. I know I'm out of Mariam's line of sight and maybe if I pretend I'm invisible it'll be true.

"Cas, I know that's you. Come in here."

For a second I actually contemplate running away. But I sigh, knowing I can't hide from Mariam forever. I have to deal with this and take my punishment. Gathering my strength, I turn around and square my shoulders, then walk into the dining room. Mariam is sitting at the dining table, Richard across from her, but there's someone else sitting, too. I pause mid-step and narrow my eyes.

"Cas," Mariam says, before I can do anything. "This is Emma's father, Roger."

I hadn't expected to meet him for a few more days, at least. His presence is more than a surprise and all I can think is, 'Your daughter kissed me a few moments ago and I think I enjoyed it.' My face burns and I don't meet Roger's eyes.

"Nice to meet you," I manage to say.

Roger stands and adjusts his shirt. "Nice to meet you, too. My daughter?"

My face burns hotter and I quickly sit next to Mariam so I can hide my nervousness. "She's, uhm, in her room." I ignore Mariam's strange gaze and focus on putting on a polite smile.

"Well." Roger sits back down, bringing his hand back to himself. Seems I was supposed to shake it in greeting. "That gives us time to talk. Richard? Get Emma up. It's already late. She should be ready by now."

Richard nods once and scoots his chair back to stand. He gives me a worried look then goes to do as Roger asked, his footsteps loud in the quiet room. When he's gone I shift uncomfortably in my chair and stare at the spread on the table. There's no breakfast foods so I assume it's lunchtime. My stomach is still rumbling, so I reach out and take a few grapes from the clear bowl in front of Mariam. I sink into my seat and pop the purplish orbs into my mouth one by one.

"Right then," Roger says, clearing his throat. He sits straighter in his seat and looks at me, his gaze hard. His face is wrinkled softly, probably from stress, and his lips seem to be stuck in a slight frown. "I suppose I should thank you for your services so far. I've heard you've prevented at least three attacks on my daughter."

I play with the last few grapes in my hand. They're still moist from being washed and my palms become wet. "Yeah, at least. I was doing my job, just like you hired me to do."

"Yes, you were. And I appreciate that. You've put yourself in direct danger to save Emma and I can't tell you how much that means to me."

One of the grapes splits underneath the pressure of my fingers. "It's nothing to me. I do the best I can, even if it means running towards the fire."

Roger dabs his mouth with a napkin. "So I hear."

That definitely sounds suspicious. I glance at Mariam but she's focused on her lunch. "You've heard right," I say, not able to think of anything better.

"I also heard you were shot last night." Roger's jaw ticks and he leans back in his seat. "Twice."

I place what's left of my grapes on the napkin in front of me then wipe my hands on my pants. I could have used the napkin but, oh well. "I was. Once in the leg and once in my shoulder."