Red File

Surprisingly, I wake up by my own volition, and I stretch cattily atop my bed. The fact that Mariam didn't wake me up means something, but I'm too tired to care. I yawn loudly and run a hand through my messy hair, already moving to get out of bed.

From the living room I hear the TV switch on and the volume lower, not that that stops me from listening in. Mariam's watching the news, local if my ears are right, which they are. Only a stickler like Mariam would want to watch the news in the morning instead of cartoons. Her parents must be so proud.

Groaning, I decide to take a shower. I want to wash the stink of old blood off me, and if i'm in the bathroom, Mariam won't bother me. Lucky for me, the bathroom is in the opposite direction of the living room, so she won't see me. I quickly grab a towel and a change of clothes then pad over to bathroom. I shut the door, lock it, and place my belongings on the sink. The news is still running at the same volume as when I woke up so Mariam hasn't noticed that I'm awake. Good. I might be able to take a long shower just for the fun of it.

Turning the handle to an outrageously hot setting, I step into the tub without waiting for the water to warm. My body was modified to withstand extreme temperatures so the water doesn't bother me in the least. I stand under the freezing stream, unmoving, until I recognize a change. Soon enough the water is scalding and the bathroom quickly fills with steam. It's nice to be engulfed by white heat, and it's almost like I have no problems.

But, of course, that's not the case.

"Hurry up!" Mariam shouts, knocking on the bathroom door. "We need to talk to you. Now!"

'We'? Damn. That means Khan must be here. He's the only person who ever visits so I know it's him. Mariam didn't sound upset, exactly, so I'm not sure what I'm in for. Usually, though, Khan only comes around because he has a job for me, or I'm in trouble. I desperately hope he has a job for me.

I wash and shave in record time, then shut off the shower before Mariam can come back and yell at me again. I step out of the tub and dry my body briskly, then put on my clothes; a plain white t-shirt and pair of black jeans. Brushing my teeth, I swipe away the condensation from my mirror and stare at myself. I waggle my eyebrows and make funny faces. For some reason it makes me feel good. I never figured out why, but why change what works?

I spit out the bubbly toothpaste that Mariam insisted we buy and rinse out my mouth, placing my toothbrush in its holder, another thing that Mariam insisted we buy. Chuckling, I shake out my hair like a dog and leave it how it falls. I like when my hair sticks out every which way. As wild on the outside as I am on the inside. It's fitting.

I exit the bathroom, steam billowing out around me, and make my way to the living room, where the TV is still droning. Sitting on the couch is Mariam and standing beside her is Kahn, their eyes locking on me as I come closer. There's not a job for me, I can already tell.

"The police have your description," Kahn says bluntly, shifting his body to face me. He's a hard ass, but I do love how truthful he is. He never beats around the bush.

I lean against the wall and cross my arms under my breasts, attempting to act nonchalant. "What are you talking about?"

Mariam pushes her glasses up her nose and speaks. "Yesterday you said no one saw you. You lied." She glares at me. "A nurse saw you leave. He gave a description of you to the police.

I growl and curse under my breath. "I bumped into him. I didn't think he got a good look at me."

"Well, he did," Kahn says gruffly. His huge frame is tense, his massive muscles rippling under his suit. I would knock him on his backside if I knew I'd get away with it. But he was pretty high up on the latter if government secrets, and he could make my life hell if he wanted to.