CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

Start from the beginning

"As a daughter of Agatha, you are welcome here. We have some questions." I nodded to the women and a chair appeared behind me and I sat.

"Why are you here?" The first woman spoke to the left.

"I am following a locator spell to find my friend's soulmate. My mother made it for me and my magic is in control of it." The three of them nodded and then the one to my right asked a question.

"What is the world like?" I sighed and looked to my lap before turning back to them.

"It is improving. Witches are no longer being trapped and abused for their magic. Small packs of werewolves are living in forests between the kingdoms." I looked at the middle woman who had pointed ears. "I have never seen an elf, though."

The middle woman spoke for the first time, "Do you know why we are here?" I shook my head.

She rose and the other two followed her.

"Long ago, the world was in balance. There were four kingdoms: Borealis, Sceneria, Derever and Awate. Each were ruled by one species. Borealis was the humans, Sceneria by witches, Derever by werewolves and Awate by elves. We lived in harmony for centuries until the humans became hungry for power. Although the kingdoms supported each other, through every drought, famine and plague. But as the humans watched our lands prosper they were filled with jealousy and greed. Soon there was war."

I followed them as they walked out into the village, anyone around bowed before continued to do what they were doing.

"Each kingdom tried to protect their own, fueled by their hatreds towards one another. We elves were slaughtered in the thousands and soon we fled for safety. As Awate kingdom was slaughtered, mother nature created the dark forest. Every tree was made from the body of an elf. We hid inside the woods. Soon, the humans destroyed the other kingdoms and all magics were forced into the dark woods. When the humans came in to find us, the trees created harsh nightmares to destroy them and it worked. We were safe."

I looked around and saw werewolves and witches living together in harmony and my mind wandered to Atlas before I quickly shook it off.

"Why did my mother leave then?" The other woman sighed and I knew she was the elder witch due to the same symbol on her head as Martha.

"Agatha wanted to find her soulmate, who sadly wasn't here. Many here do not find their soulmates and some did leave. Some choose to settle with who they find here, but it is painful for them to reject a soulmate they never met."

I nodded and looked around seeing Martha waving at me. I waved back and smiled at her. She was so full of life.

"Would you ever leave?" I looked at them and the elf spoke.

"If the world was safe for all, then yes." I nodded.

"The world is becoming safer. I've seen kingdoms changing their minds and I myself will lead Sceneria again. The kingdom of Derever is being led by a werewolf. People are more understanding. We just need-" 

She held her hand up to me, "That is enough. We are safe here." I nodded my head, respecting her wishes.

"May I check to see if my friend's soulmate is here?" They nodded their heads. "I will leave in the morning." They looked at me in disbelief.

"You said I was welcome here and I feel welcome. But my mission is to find my friend's soulmate. If he isn't here I must leave and protect my kingdom." They looked at each other before turning to me again. I couldn't tell if they could read each other's minds but it was a big possibility.

"You may stay here for one night and in the morning, Martha will escort you out of the woods. We will give you provisions for your journey and allow you to rest under conditions. This place will stay hidden and you will not tell anyone what you found." I sighed and nodded my head; happy they would at least allow me to stay to rest. They walked away and began talking to other residents.

Martha came up to me skipping, "So what's the plan?"

I laughed at her mannerism. "I need somewhere quiet."

She nodded and linked her arm around mine dragging me towards an area.

"I am not quiet so I'll leave you to it." She skipped away and I laughed.

The bench overlooked the uninhabited crop fields.

Sitting down, I pulled the orb out of my bag and placed it beside me. It was completely dark, waiting for the magic to bring it to life. I used my magic and watched as every time I tried, it failed. It kept flowing straight through. I tried again, watching the magic start to enter before leaving. The third time I closed my eyes and placed my hands directly on the orb thinking about every memory of Anna. I thought about her long blonde hair and her bright blue eyes. I remembered what made her smile and laugh and cry.

Soon I felt the orb lift and the same light flowed out of it. I opened my eyes and watched it float up into the air and head into the field. I stood quickly from the bench following it. I watched it and as it disappeared in the field of the tall wheat, I heard a loud groan come from the other side.

As I emerged from the wheat field, I saw the orb floating above someone who rubbed their head.

"Does this belong to you?"