CHAPTER FIVE

Soon, the sun rose and we were both on the road again. The last village before leaving Borealis was home to my friend. It would be our last stop before rescuing Anastasia and a good place to ensure we had all the supplies we would need. We didn't speak to each other the entire morning. I didn't wish to share my thoughts with him. Atlas didn't seem to want to speak to me either. As we climbed on our horses, I walked in front of him, leading the way.

"Eva, are you ignoring me?" I turned to see him studying me. I stopped my horse and turned to face him.

"Should I be? We just got up and started on our journey." He smiled before frowning again.

"Well, you haven't spoken to me all morning and I think we have been getting on quite well. We have shared so much and I don't understand what I could have done in my sleep to upset you." I turned back around and continued my journey.

"Eva! Stop. Eva, come on." Atlas followed close behind me as I galloped away from him. Suddenly, the noise of his voice stopped and there was a thud. I turned around to see Atlas on the floor with an arrow in his stomach.

Without thinking, I leapt off my horse sending them both into the woods in the hopes it would distract whoever fired that arrow. He groaned as I ripped his top to see the wound. It was deep and blood was pouring out of it. It was a bad aim but the arrow was deep in his side.

"We need to get you help. Atlas, hey stay with me. You are going to be fine." He smiled weakly before fainting. I muttered under my breath, feeling a slight panic rise in my heart. I breathed deeply, forcing him up and holding him up with as much strength as I had. I carried his weight on me and tried to run towards the village we would be staying in. Luckily, we were close. My friend's house was just on the edge of the forest.

"Eva? Is that you? What are you doing... Oh, my gods!" As I reached the edge of the forest, my friend, Olivia, in the village saw me and helped us both into the house. Her husband took Atlas and put him on the kitchen table as I collapsed on the floor.

"Eva, who is this?" I shook my head trying to stand, before falling each time. Olivia helped me up onto the seat as her husband shut all the curtains in the house.

"Bring me some cloths, honey, blue flowers and sewing equipment. I have to save him." Olivia nodded and got me everything I needed. I cleaned the around the wound with honey and crushed blue flowers.

"Okay, Atlas. This is going to hurt." His smile was weak and his face was pale. I placed my hand cupping his face and he leant into me.

As his eyes closed, I pulled out the arrow causing him to groan loudly. I quickly bandaged the rest of the wound before sewing it closed. I fell into the closest chair and sighed loudly, wiping tears I didn't know had fallen.

"Olivia, is there a room I can crash in? I need to sleep." She nodded and led me up to her only spare room. I flopped onto the bed and fell asleep instantly.

I only slept a couple of hours as I was haunted by the pain of Atlas' injury. I stretched and wandered downstairs to find Atlas on the dining table where I left him to recover. It was too risky to move him a few hours ago in case the wound opened up. I checked and it looked much better. With the help of Olivia, we moved Atlas upstairs to the bedroom. I changed his bandage as Olivia left the room to stop any infection.

As the day went on, I couldn't find the strength to leave Atlas' side. He was so gentle as he laid there, his chest rising and falling steadily. I moved his hair out of his face and looked at his face. He was so handsome even with some scratches on his face from the fall.

I soon drifted off to sleep as the day disappeared. I was exhausted by the heavy weight that was crushing my shoulders. I was falling in love with my best friend's fiancé.