CHAPTER TEN

I watched the night turn to day and got ready to return the rulers to their kingdom. Mother had packed us small provisions for the short journey and I didn't leave the bench until it was time to leave. Anna and Atlas looked so in love as they left the house and stood in the street; my stomach churned. I said my farewells to my mother before the three of us walked through the town and towards the castle.

I was too consumed in my own head to talk to anyone as we walked through the kingdom. The city was out on the streets celebrating the return of their princess. Streamers of golds and purples lined the houses and the cheers deafened everyone around. Anna smiled and spoke sweetly to strangers as they waited patiently for their turn to talk to the future queen. She was well on her way to becoming a just and kind queen. I sighed and continued to walk them both into the palace where we were greeted at the gate by the current Queen and Hera.

They both smiled at us and Anna was quickly embraced by her mother who began weeping at the sight of her lost child. I smiled and tried to move inside the castle to escape any formalities I would have to endure. As I walked away, Hera followed me and stopped me.

"Eva, you did it!" she smiled at me with a proud look in her eyes which quickly disappeared as she looked at my face.

"What's wrong? You rescued Anna and now are the most respected maid in this castle. The Queen is talking about giving the army actual responsibility as you brought her home and stopped an attack." I turned away and continued to walk down the staircase towards my room. Hera continued to yell at me and as I ignored her each time, she finally demanded I stop.

"Eva, as your captain, stop! That is an order!" I stopped in my tracks and turned to face her. She was red in the face heaving as she ran after me down the stairs, obviously confused and angry. I sighed and nodded before walking the last few meters into my room leaving the door open for Hera to follow inside.

"I'll tell you everything. Just please don't stop me from leaving. It's time I left and moved on from here." She nodded and sat on the bed waiting for me to tell her everything.

As I went through the story, Hera became angrier each second. Hearing about how our king, a good and true ruler became a monster and hurt his daughter; How he tore me from my family and never told me the truth; How Anna was now marrying the wrong man. Hera was just angry but never said a word.

"Why did he do all of this?" I shook my head, questioning.

"I don't know yet. I am leaving tonight and will ask my mother about it all. She promised she would explain it further but I needed to get Anna home first." She nodded and left the room. I sighed sitting on the bed thinking about what she was planning. Instead, she came back in with a few bags and placed a hand on my shoulder. I knew it must be hard for Hera to turn a blind eye to me leaving. She was the one who raised me when I first arrived in the castle.

Hera didn't speak as she helped me pack up my room. I tried to pack but I knew I needed to say goodbye to Anna. She knew I was leaving but we hadn't spoken about any of it.

"Go and speak to her. I'll finish up and put the bags on a horse for you. Good luck, Eva. I hope you find what you're looking for." I smiled and thanked her before walking back up the staircase to Anna's room for the last time.

The door was cracked open and the light from the window was shining through. It was late afternoon but still pleasant. I looked through the door and saw Anna on the balcony speaking to someone.

"Atlas said as soon as possible so I don't see why we can't marry in a few days. This Sunday will be perfect." I sighed and knocked on the door.

"Eva! Come in. I need you to see something." She grabbed my hand and yanked me in the room, making me laugh and reminded me of our childhood in just one small action. She opened her wardrobe and there on a manikin was a white wedding dress. It was long and regal, with a long train and veil attached to a delicate crown. She was going to look beautiful.

"Anna, you are going to make an amazing queen one day and I can't wait to be a subject in your kingdom. But I'm sorry, I can't stay here with you. My life is with my mother, helping her and getting to know her. I want you to be happy but I can't be happy here." I took her hands in mine as our eyes started to cloud with tears, "You will make Atlas very happy and I can't wait for you to start your adventure."

We embraced tightly, tears streaming from our eyes as we said our final goodbyes. She walked me down to the stables where Hera was waiting with the horse. Anna handed me a small envelope and I tucked it inside it my bag.

"Don't forget about me, Eva. Please find your happiness and I will rule like you're still beside me. No one will ever mean the same to me as you do." I embraced her and got on my horse. She grabbed my hand and I asked her to say goodbye to Atlas and her mother for me. I turned and trotted out the gate with the sun setting in the distance. A new chapter awaited me.