(xxiii) help

"begin with warm up and drills", terumi hummed to the incomplete group of girls in the gym

and they would've listened, except their eyes were glued to the entrance of the room.

"y/n senpai", chika said, making terumi turn around immediately

they watched as their beloved ace walked in, smiling at everyone before looking at kyoko and riko. they looked at her hopefully but she just walked away with no expression.

"y/n, you're back", the coach greeted her with a welcoming smile and got up. y/n had informed her beforehand that she would be coming back. so she was more relieved than anything.

"i got a lot of catching up to do", she smiled back, "sorry for making you worry"

"i'm happy you're okay. go change quickly."

"yes ma'am"

her smile faded when she walked into the locker room.

-•-•-•-

when y/n stepped out of the locker room, she noticed something she had initially missed. the tension in the air was not only between her and kyoko riko.

there seemed to have been conflicts between other members of the team as well. chika was giving kyoko the cold shoulder. nene was also pretty dismissive.

natsu didn't outright cause any conflict but she avoided talking to the two. terumi was somewhat neutral and so was aikawa.

"divide into groups, we're playing a match", the coach said, once they were done warming up.

"aikawa come and be my setter", y/n said

"y/n senpai i can-", riko interrupted

"i asked aikawa"

aikawa was their backup setter and a freshman and she didn't usually get to practice with the regulars. so for y/n to ask specifically for her was a big deal. she nodded and joined her team.

kyoko came to their team as well.

and y/n was... polite. she didn't insult kyoko to her face. she gave her constructive criticism and nodded in approval if she received the ball in an unlikely situation. but she didn't go out of her way to interact.

she treated her as a teammate rather than a friend.

they took a break and kyoko just couldn't hold it in anymore so she tapped y/n's shoulder.

"what is it?"

"can we talk?", she pleaded

"about what?", y/n asked

"everything. the other day at your place-"

"kyoko..", she began, "i'm sorry if anything that tsumu said hurt your feelings. he was just looking out for me and he didn't mean it."