"You were in my way, Darkblood!" Jace argued back, glaring at the blood now staining his blade.

Everyone stopped, still huffing and panting. The simulation in the training room fell apart and brought them back into the Institute. Leaving only their tired appearances behind.

"Henry!" Lyra came forward with worried eyes. "Are you okay?" She tried to get a look at his arm, but the other quickly closed a palm over his wound.

The blood seeped through his fingers, but Henry didn't care by the way he glared at Jace in irritation. "If this were a real mission, you'd wounded me and the Shax demon would have broke free. You'd doom us all," He seethed through clenched teeth, stepping forward to the man.

"I had a clear hit," Jace stepped forward as well and matched his level of stubbornness, "You got in my way. It's your own damn fault."

"You are blaming me?!" Henry raised his voice incredulously.

Alec immediately put a hand up between the two. "Hey, this isn't helping our training," He tried to calm the situation, and turned to Henry, "Jace stepped forward for the kill and you got in the way—It was an accident."

Henry turned to him with displeased eyes. "Accidents can't happen on the job—not for Shadowhunters," He argued.

"I agree," Alec eased while raising his hands up in surrender and his tone softened, "I'm not saying who was right or wrong. This was just an exercise, so that this doesn't happen again. Better in here, than out there. Agreed?" He looked between Jace and Henry.

The two men's eyes never strayed—still filled with contempt. Both of their warring presences created a more tense atmosphere.

"I don't know you or how you trained, and I don't care," Jace said in a low voice, his eyes narrowed, "I know what I'm doing. Out there, I don't need you getting in my way," He ordered.

Henry's chin raised in a haughty manner. "Do not order me around." He smirked. "I beat you once. I'll be happy to do it again."

"You know what—" Jace lunged for him.

Alec and Isabelle jumped to hold him back. Keeping him at bay before he could get his hands on the other.

"Jace, stop it!" Isabelle threw a nasty look to Henry. "He's not worth it," She mumbled her distaste.

Henry's expression never wavered but he did look away at that. He immediately turned to leave.

"Wait, Henry," Lyra goes after him and grabs his arm, "I can help you with—" She jumps when his ripped sleeve tears off and she notices the scars littering his skin. A small gasp escaped her.

Henry ripped his arm away, quickly hiding it. He shot a cold glare at her. "I don't need your help. I can do it myself," He glowered, before rushing away, this time faster.

Lyra's eyes widened after him. Left wondering if she'd imagined those deep, discolored scars—or if they had been there all along, hidden.

That night, Lyra couldn't get much in the way of sleep. Her restlessness kept her up into the early hours of the night with multiple thoughts keeping her mind awake.

Henry...Alec, Jace, and Isabelle...her parents...

Each of them came with their own set of problems.

Lyra didn't want to think about it all. She hoped for a distraction, or at least, something to put her mind at ease. And when she poked her head out into the dark hall, hearing nothing but the rain pattering the windows, she decided to head for the kitchen.