Flutter Just A Little Longer- Chapter 17

Liams POV

The ride home from the hospital was completely silent. It had been three days.

Although Zoey hadn't cried in a couple hours, she was not in the mood to be talking. At least she was doing a little better by not crying for a while. 

Over the past couple of days, the old Zoey had vanished.

The happy charisma that radiated from her almost every minute of the day was no longer there. The person sitting next to me in the car was not who I fell in love with. For the time being, she was gone.

I knew I would get her back though. Her warm heart would surely bring her back to me. She just needed time.

I tried to push my own feelings to the back of my mind so I could focus on Zoey getting better. I needed her to be okay.

Right now it feels like I lost two people instead of one. 

We had arrived at Zoey's flat. I helped her get out of the car, and held her hand as she walked up the stairs to her apartment with me. She unlocked the door, and walked inside. After she was in all the way, I followed her. 

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom real quick, okay?" I said.

She gave a slight nod, acknowledging that she heard me.

I walked quickly into the bathroom and shut the door behind me. I slid my back down the door, falling to the ground as tears started welling up in my eyes.

As much as I wanted to help her right now, it was extremely difficult balancing my own emotions. As much as I tried to put my feelings aside, I couldn't. I had lost my baby too, and secretly it was crushing me.

But I would never tell Zoey that.

How was I supposed to mend her broken heart if I couldn't even fix my own?

After a couple seconds, I forced my tears back and blinked a couple times as not to cry. All this negative thinking was not helping me. All the negative atmosphere that surrounded me was stifling, and confusing.

Flustered, I stood up and looked at myself in the mirror. Memories flooded back into my mind from the first time I ran into this bathroom. Right after I had woken up in Zoey's bed. I remember how panicked I was, how desperate I was to leave. And after a couple minutes, I did.

But not this time. I needed to help Zoey through this. Together, we could help each other's hearts mend, only growing closer. This was a test of our relationship, and I would do anything to make sure we came out strong together.

Placing my palms on the smooth bathroom counter, I looked in the mirror and realized there was a prominent item in my pocket. Remembering what it was, I pulled it out.

In my hand was the orange bottle of pills.

I had forgotten they were in my pair of jeans. I hadn't taken them out since the doctor gave them to me.

Quickly, I shoved them into the cabinet above the sink. I needed to put them somewhere safe.

By now I had been in the bathroom way too long. Taking a deep breath I walked out of the door, only to see Zoey sitting on the bed blankly staring at the ceiling. 

Clearly aware of my presence, she looked me directly in the eye for the first time today as her head spun around to face me.

"I'm hungry," she said with a half frown, half smile.

A half smile.

This little action filled me with a rush of hope. The old Zoey was starting to shine through again. I was getting closer to having her back. Filled with excitement, all I could say was,