Bucky's Back

You wheezed involuntarily as your caretaker set a tray of Mac & Cheese and Spam in front of you. It was the same every day. But you didn't care. As long as you got to sit in front of your window. It was always left open-the nurses knew better than to close it. You had heard that old folks in nursing homes eventually claimed a 'happy place' when they stay there long enough. That window-your window-was your happy place. The way that the sunlight floated through it when it was nice outside symbolized how it affected your mind. It was basically the window to your past. Your memories. Your previous happy places. And Bucky.

Flashback

You laughed as Bucky twirled you around above his head. He gazed up at you while showing off a brightly lit smile.

"I missed you so much." He said when he had set you down and pressed your body to his. You buried your face in the dip between his shoulder and neck and breathed in his scent, smiling. Bucky was home. He had gotten leave from the war for a week and then he had to go back, but he deserved it. At least that's what his Captain thought. Captain America...Steve Rogers...whoever he was, he was Bucky's best friend and he had decided that Bucky needed to see the love of his life. Even if it was only for a week.

You grabbed Bucky's hand after pulling away from the embrace. "C'mon." You said, not able to stop smiling. Neither of you could. You opened the door to the driver's side of your car and started it as Bucky got in on the passenger side.

"Where to?" You asked, looking over at him with a mischievous glint in your eye.

"Where do you think?"

***

It seemed like neither you nor Bucky could think of anything to talk about as you sat across the table from each other at Wando's. Wando's had been where Bucky had taken you on your first date with him. Also where you wanted to have the reception of your wedding. If Bucky was planning on asking you to marry him. Basically, Wando's was you and Bucky's happy place.

Neither of you wanted to talk about the war, or your work, or anything. All you or him could say was 'I missed you' or 'I love you' or 'Are you going to eat that?'. Basically it was a lunch filled with happy sighs and heart-eyed gazes. And smiles, of course. Bucky broke the comfortable silence.

"[Y/N], I know I'll be going back over soon. The Howling Commandos need their co-captain, after all...but I know how hard being away from you was for me. And I'm only hoping you felt the same way..." He flashed you a teasing grin and you replied with your tongue sticking out, "I know i only just got back but-I just need to know." He got up from the booth and got down on one knee. [Y/F/N], will you stay by my side even though we'll be on separate sides of the world? I'm in love with you and I know you love me too. So can we just get this over with and marry?" He asked, a smirk dancing across his lips.

You tapped your finger against your lips in mock thought, just to give him hell. But on the inside, you could barely keep the squeal of pure joy and excitement from escaping your lips.

"I guess so..." You said before jumping into his arms. You didn't even bother looking at the ring. You didn't care how much it cost, how big the rock was, or if there was even a ring at all. You just cared about Bucky.

***

You flipped through a magazine for wedding dresses. You and Bucky had already picked out the venue (Wando's, of course) and guests and time and everything else. But you had been putting off getting a dress because of your growing baby bump. Bucky didn't know you were pregnant yet. You were going to tell him today before deciding on a dress but you were just so nervous. How was he going to react?

Curiosity got the better of you as you dialed the operator who put you through to Bucky's base. Steve picked up the phone.

"Hey, Steve! Is Bucky there? I really need to talk to him...I have to tell him something really important." You chattered excitedly. There was silence on the other end. You persisted. "Ok, fine! I'll tell you first but you can't tell him. I want to tell him first. I'll just let you in on it. I'm preg-"

"[Y/N]...Bucky's gone." Steve cut you short. Stopped you dead in your tracks. You tucked a strand of hair behind your ear before placing a hand on your stomach. The baby shifted.

"Very funny, Steve." You chuckled nervously. "Come on now, give Bucky the receiver! I have to tell him I'm preg-"

"[Y/N]. Bucky is dead."

End of Flashback