Then, all he could think about was pleasing his Father, but more prudent concerns now raced through his head. Like the fact that this was a suicide mission. Or the fact that his skin prickled and burned the closer they reached the border.

He hated Maurya — everything about the wretched nation. And he wanted no part in their rituals or Gods. As far as he was concerned, any similarity with Maurya should be erased away.

Rage slithered through his veins like a venomous snake. Independence had been hard-earned. It was his Grandfather who had united the nobles under a common banner and beseeched Pennmyr for aid. His family line who had built up this great country brick by brick, acre by acre. And they had done it all on the strength of their will and conviction. They had not needed the Gods' blessings then. They certainly did not need it now.

They arrived at the border quicker than expected. Like everything about Maurya, their border was excessive, with multiple men guarding the post. Their uniforms were pristine, gleaming gray armor and a chain of blue beads around their upper arms.

Arjun had wanted to sneak across the border. There were plenty of unguarded spots along the boundary, and he was certain it would be less of a risk. But Vidya and his Father had both advised against that course of action. After Yadav's victories in the border towns, Maurya had placed bombs beneath the Earth's surface in an effort to protect their frontier.

Yet another example of the country's disregard for nature.

Arjun believed they could avoid the traps, but Vidya and Baba had been adamant that the route was too risky. "Besides," Vidya had said. "We can take more supplies if we go through the checkpoint."

Vidya's being right was becoming an infuriating habit. Though Arjun was glad she was on their side, he did not trust her. She had no creed, no guiding compass. Would she betray them for more coin? Arjun could not say no.

Which is why he hated this plan. It left him entirely at her mercy. If she wanted, she could reveal their true identities, reap a large reward from Maurya, and live the rest of her days in peace, never having to step foot on those dreaded mountains.

"What business?" a soldier asked, eyeing him warily. Arjun dropped his head to the ground, allowing his dark curls to fall in his face. He prayed the soldiers did not recognize him. Arjun had led a number of battalions into these woods, winning the border towns for Yadav. Perhaps these men had been on those battlefields.

Vidya slipped off the horse. Making sure the guard was paying attention to her, she dipped her fingers into her tunic and pulled a leaflet of papers from her bosom. "I had to keep them safe," she explained, her doe eyes wide. The scholar wielded her dimple like a weapon, appearing the picture of innocence.

"I–, of course," the guard stammered, a faint blush coloring his ears. Arjun tried not to roll his eyes. Mauryan soldiers are so weak, he thought with disgust, but he had to retract the statement when he saw his cousin's ears were just as red.

Gods, give me strength.

The guard attempted to recollect himself, clearing his throat and examining the papers. But Vidya was proving quite the distraction, aimlessly twirling a black lock of hair around her fingers.

If she bat her eyelashes, Arjun was going to vomit.

"These men are traitors, eh?" The guard approached them now, his gaze filled with vitriol. Arjun forced the warrior in him to stay quiet. The man who bristled at being labelled a traitor was of no use here.

Diplomacy and guile. Diplomacy and guile, he repeated. Always one to prefer the integrity of battle over the slippery cunning of wiles, Arjun was once again reminded of just how much he detested this plan.