Part 4 - When it gets Real

The 8 weeks of training in Delhi passed in a blur and as well the 1 and half year in which Sanjana was placed in a hospital at the military base at border. Sanjana kept in touch with everyone via calls and messages but she tried her best to avoid Rudr as she wanted him to live his life and not be stuck to her because of the engagement. But her life took the most serious turn when she was posted at the Kashmir border, Sanajana was scared but she wanted this, she wanted to serve the nations and soldiers who very fighting for their life day in and day out. 6 months into the posting at camps the conditions worsened the terrorist group attacked and fired on many civilians and buildings and started the war.

One night after a very tiresome day Sanjana sat down in her camp with a pen and a paper to write a letter to her dad, as all connections have been dead for 2 weeks. She was sure everyone at her place would be very worried for her, she wanted to write to at least inform that she was safe, writing the letter putting it under her pillow she slept.

Late at night Sanjana woke up startled hearing loud noises and by the smell she knew there was danger, taking her emergency kit she walked out of her tent. There were many soldiers injured and many tents on fire, there were voices of blasts and gunshots everywhere. Seeing her outside a tent a soldier came towards her and said
"Ma'am you have to please run away from here, its not safe for you anymore"
"There are a lot of injured soldiers over here, I have to help"
"This is a major terrorist attack you have to keep yourself safe so that when the situations lighten you can help", having no choice Sanjana leaves and runs.

After running continuously for half an hour Sanjana stops, she was deep inside the jungle there was no light. She had a torch but she didn't want to attract the unwanted attention of humans as well as the animals.

Sitting alone in dark, clutching her jacket tight Sanjana sits near a tree scared and then she hears sounds of leaves rustling, she fears thinking the chances of danger.

The voice feels coming closer to her, scared Sanjana shouts "Who is it?" but no replies come.

She moves towards the sound and sees a man, a soldier heavily bleeding aiming a gun at her, seeing her he puts his gun down and asks,
"What are you doing here doctor"

"I was asked to run when the attack started sirr.."

"Major Viraj, that's good but you have to move farther, It's not safe here"

"Let me help you first, you have so many fresh wounds bleeding," Sanjana says and starts opening her kit, she takes out the basic equipment and cleans and bandages the wound on the forehead and arms.

She then examines the bullet wound on his leg and says "This wound is going to need stitches and you need rest, if you keep moving you will keep tearing the skin and it won't heal and get worse"

"Do you see the situation at our campsite, do you think I can rest" Viraj replies rudely,

"I don't think you have an option major, I have no idea how you walked till here with wound at your leg. If you don't take proper rest I don't think that leg will remain functional. So its best that you take care of it."

"I know what I need to do and what not. You just bandage it up, I have already removed the bullet"

"What did you use to remove it"

"My pocket knife and branch of the tree"

"There must be infection then I need to sterilise the wound first then stitch it off"

"Do whatever you want but fast"

"Yeah, I am doing that. When did you get this wound"

"I woke up unconscious in the woods an hour ago, so I don't exactly remember"

Finishing up bandaging Sanjana says, "I have done the best I could but you need to go to the hospital for proper care to the wound or atleast to the medical tent at camp."

"We will see what happens later, now I have to go back to help" Viraj replies and tries to stand and walk but falls on his back, Sanjana extends her hand to help but royally ignoring it Viraj takes the support of the tree's trunk and stands.

Before he could start moving the hear the sounds of the gunshots and people coming closer, he turns towards Sanjana and says
"I need to take you to a safer place first doctor, it is not safe here,"

"Okay" Sanjana replies meekly scared of all the sounds,

Viraj looks towards the sky and says
"At the 5 to 6km north from the forest there is a small village. I am not sure how much inside we are from the forest but we need to keep moving if we have to reach the village by sunrise"

Packing up her kit both Sanjana and Viraj starts moving, as they start walking the pain in Viraj's leg increases, Without saying a word Sanjana takes his arms and puts around her shoulder and they start walking again.

  "Doctor, What's your name?"

"Sanjana" she replies and they continue moving in silence.

Viraj takes Sanjana's support and keeps walking with a thousand thoughts in his mind, he was a man of honor and pride, he didn't like taking help or support but the pain in his leg was not letting him walk by his own. after walking for a few minutes Viraj realized why rest was necessary for him as the pain in his leg kept increasing with every step they took, but it was his duty to make sure that the doctor as in safe place.

He was surprised by the strength Sanjana was showing, looking at her petite figure he would have never guessed that. They kept walking without keeping the track of the time it must have been more than an hour when Sanjana finally spoke

"I need to sit, I cannot walk anymore"

"We will rest here for a while" Viraj replied with a sigh in relief as the pain in his leg was killing him and he was stubborn enough not to acknowledge about it in front of her.

He was in his thoughts when he felt a sudden weight on his shoulder, he turned to see that Sanjana has slept and her head lay peacefully on his shoulder, and for the first time in last few hours he looked at her properly and observed her beautiful yet sharp features. Amidst the dirt and tiredness, she looked like an angel sleeping with no worries, looking at her brought calmness to his disturbed mind and with no time Viraj also fell in deep slumber.

----------------

Hello everyone,

Yayy Yayy Yayyy!!! I hope you enjoyed reading the part. I was waiting so desperately for Viraj's entry.

As most of you know I just finished my Architecture, this week I got my Architects license and I am very happy.

How are you all doing? Would love to get feedback from you guys ?

Don't forget to follow me and add the book in your libraries. Your likes and comments give me the motivation to write ❤️

Stay Safe and Happy Reading !! 🥰