Trial 4

A/N: This is the last chapter for trial 1, and I have made the decision that I will start posting bigger chapters for you guys. So, I hope you guys are excited about that :)

Y/N POV: I felt a sudden pain in my chest where my heart was when Shuichi concluded the case, word for word, come on, Y/N. Keep your composure. "N-No...Kaede...did it?" Gonta stammered out. "Damn it!" Kaito said with gritted teeth. "It is a truth I do not wish to accept, but since Shuichi has brought everything to light... We can at least try to trust the Kaede we've come to know up to this point." Kirumi said. Even she looked saddened by this. So why wasn't I...? "The Kaede we've come to know...?" Tenko said. "Even if she did commit a crime, what Kaede has said to us is not a lie. She wanted to protect us, and I firmly believe that is the truth." Kirumi said. "If that was a lie too, it'd be the last straw for me. I'd have nothing left to believe in." Ryoma admitted. "You guys are so nice... Even though I betrayed you all..." Kaede trailed off. 

"No! That's not true, Kaede! You were trying to save all of-" "Nice job, Shuichi! I didn't expect any less!" Kaede yelled, interrupting Shuichi's words. "...What?" Shuichi said, sweat dropping a little. "You were super reliable back there! But you still have a long way to go. You need to be more assertive. If you did that more often, you'd be a pretty cool guy." Kaede smiled. Didn't she...hold any grudges at all...? Wasn't she mad or upset that she was caught...? I can't read her. "...Kaede...why? Why are you smiling like that...? Why are you still trying to get me to be brave? Why, Kaede!? Why are you thinking about everyone except yourself!? If you had just been less selfless, you wouldn't have had to murder... Why...?  Why do you do that?" Shuichi whimpered. This sight was almost upsetting to look at...almost. "...I'm...sorry..." Kaede apologized. "Stop, stop, stop! At least save it for the end of the trial! Sheesh!" Monokuma yelled. "Looks like the debate is finished, so that means it's Voting Time!" Monotaro announced. "All right you bastards! Press the button in front of you to cast your vote!" Monophanie instructed. "And make sure y'all vote, cuz refusin' to vote is grounds for termination." Monosuke said. "At last! The heart-racing excitement as the blackened and the spotless finally face off..." Monokuma trailed off. "It's...VOTING TIME!!!" Monokuma and the Monokubs yelled all at once. 

I let out a breath that I didn't even know that I was holding in. And let my hand hover over my podium to cast my vote. And just like everyone else I pressed on Kaede's picture. After a little while, a big machine started to tally up everyone's votes and of course, it landed on Kaede as the blackened. "Well, at this point it goes without saying, but you all voted correctly! The blackened who killed Rantaro Amami is the Ultimate Pianist, Kaede Akamatsu!" Monokuma yelled. "Good..." Kaede said blandly. "Wh-What...? Good? What do you mean, good!? Is this how you want it to end!?" Kaito yelled. "Not really, but...it could've turned out a lot worse. So this is fine, too." Kaede concluded to us. "I-It's not fine! This is super horrible! The worst ever!" Tenko cried. "Yeah... How did it come to this?" Tsumugi asked. Kaede stayed silent at that. I assume that she was picking out the words she wanted to say in her head. "Kaede, what would possess you to do something like this?" Kiibo asked. "Gonta no can accept this... Not unless you explain..." Gonta stammered out. "Yeah... I won't be satisfied... Until I hear it straight from you..." Kaito sweat dropped. 

"Kaede, please..." Shuichi pleaded. "Okay, please allow me a few mere moments of your time, then. It's just like Shuichi said-I was after the mastermind this entire time. I wanted to kill the mastermind, and I thought doing that would end the killing game..." Kaede trailed off. "But why did you try to kill them? Maybe they could have been captured..." Shuichi reasoned. "If it hadn't been for the time limit, I probably would've done that... But the time limit meant that capturing the mastermind was less likely to work, y'know? Cuz the mastermind could've just played dumb to run out the clock and kill us all. I...was worried about that happening." Kaede admitted. "So you sought to kill the mastermind, instead?" Kiyo concluded. "I had made up my mind just before we set up the cameras in the library. I thought it was my last chance to save everyone... I couldn't let that chance pass me by. I had to save everyone, no matter what." Kaede sweat dropped. "Even if you had to kill someone?" Kokichi questioned. "That's right...I thought that killing the mastermind was our best shot at escaping this place together. I...really believed it, too..." Kaede admitted. "Kaede..." Shuichi mumbled. "Oh, Kaede...it never dawned on you? As soon as that thought entered your head, Monokuma had you right where he wanted. Because what mattered most to Monokuma is that the killing game started. Regardless of your reasons, the moment you felt the urge to kill, you had already lost. You agreed to be part of this killing game when you allowed murder to fill your heart." Kokichi explained. "W-Wait. To put it like that..." Tsumugi trailed off. "But he's not wrong. She's the reason the killing game started." Miu said. "But...if Kaede hadn't done anything, we'd all be dead by now..." Tenko said. "Kaede save everyone...we no can blame her." Gonta said. "I know! You don't need to remind me! That's why I'm so...pissed off! Pissed off at myself for being so...so useless!" Kokichi cried. Tears were streaming down his face so abruptly it was unnatural. "K-Kokichi...stop. Your a-act isn't convincing." I stammered out.