Chapter 4

Chapter 4

It had been a week since the parole hearing, and they had yet to receive word that Carson had been released. Tru wasn't sure how the news would come to her. She had heard that sometimes the prison would make an automatic phone call to the felon's victim when he was released. Or maybe that was just for bail? She also wondered if Sonny would bring her the news. She was almost certain that he would be one of the first to know.

Maybe it had already happened, and she just didn't know. She tried to live her life without worrying about that. She forced herself to believe that maybe he wouldn't even try to contact her. After all, he did spend time in prison because of her. Would he really risk going back? He wouldn't even be able to get close to her with Sonny around, so why even try?

It was nearly 9 o'clock in the morning when she walked into the morgue for her shift. She headed to the office to set her stuff down and look at the schedule for the day. She opened the door and walked in, then stopped dead in her tracks. On the desk before her sat a long, white rectangular box with a red ribbon tied around it. Her breathing began to accelerate as she took an uncertain step forward toward the box. Right away her mind flashed back to opening the box with two dead love birds. This can't be happening again, she thought. She outstretched a shaky hand and slowly lifted the lid from the base, she set it aside. A dozen red roses lay before her. She tried to swallow, but her throat was dry and her tongue felt like sandpaper. She picked up the small card that was folded on top of the flowers and opened it. Printed neatly on the inside of the card were three words that could either be so sweet, or so terrifying. For my everything.

"Isn't my boyfriend just the sweetest?" Melinda Warren's voice suddenly boomed from behind her.

Tru shrieked as the card went flying into the air and she spun around to face her boss, clutching her hand over her heart. Melinda jumped back, startled at the outburst.

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" Melinda asked, as she eyed her suspiciously.

Tru struggled to catch her breath, "Yeah, I'm fine. So-sorry!" Tru stammered. "So the—the flowers are for you?"

Melinda picked the card up off the floor and set it back on the flowers, then put the lid back on. "Yeah, it's our first anniversary." Melinda turned to face her.

Tru let out a shaky breath as slowly as she could, trying to have it go unnoticed. "That's great, congratulations."

Melinda grabbed a clipboard off the desk, "You know, I heard about the hearing..." she paused for a moment and looked at Tru sympathetically, Tru swallowed hard, like she was swallowing a hard-boiled egg. "If you need anything, please don't hesitate to let me know."

Tru forced a polite smile, "Thanks, but I'm okay." She said, "I just need to stay busy."

"In that case," Melinda handed her the clip board, "We just got called to a crime scene, wanna come?"

"Absolutely."

****

Carisi leaned against his squad car outside the probation office. He had gotten the call this morning that Carson had been released and he was supposed to check in with his probation officer right away. So far Carisi had been planted outside for two hours, he checked his watch again, yep two hours. He pulled a stick of gum out of his pocket, unwrapped it and popped it in his mouth. He shoved the wrapper back into his pocket and made sure to position his jacket so his gun and badge were still visible. The door swung open, and Carson strolled out as if he didn't have a care in the world. Carisi must have missed him go in, or maybe he had went in the back?