Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Captain Benson walked into Tru and Sonny's apartment. Tru's attacker was sitting in one of the kitchen chairs, he was nice enough to stick around and wait for the captain. Two uniformed officers walked in behind her.

"Carisi," Benson said as she walked in, Sonny stood to meet her in the kitchen. "Tru, are you okay?"

Tru leaned against the wall; her arms wrapped around herself. She was still visibly shaken. "I don't know."

Benson nodded, "That's understandable." Benson looked at her sympathetically before turning to Sonny, "What happened here?"

"I came home to this man attacking Tru, he claims he was responding to an add Tru posted online," Carisi handed Benson the phone with the ad pulled up, "Tru never posted this ad."

"No, obviously not." Benson said. She looked at the intruder, "What's your name?"

"Hank Stoneman," The man said.

"Is this your first time doing this, Hank?" Benson asked.

The man looked down, "What kind of sick bastard even searches something like this out?" Carisi asked, rage radiating from him.

"Carisi," Benson called him down, "Hank we're going to need you to come with us down to the station so we can get this sorted out." One of the uniformed officers took him out the door, she turned to Carisi and Tru, "You guys should go stay in a hotel tonight, get some rest. We will sort this out."

"Captain, you know who is behind this." Carisi stepped closer to her, his voice low to prevent Tru from hearing him.

"I have TARU on it, okay, the best thing you can do right now is get Tru out of here." Benson reiterated.

"Copy that, Cap," Carisi said, he took Tru by the arm and led her out of the apartment.

****

It took two hours at the emergency room to make sure the baby was okay. Tru didn't want to go at first, but Sonny had insisted. They couldn't take any chances after all. It took another hour and a half to check into a motel room and hold her until she fell asleep. Now, at almost three in the morning Carisi found himself gripping the steering wheel as tight as he could as he sped his way to the streets of Brooklyn.

He climbed up the stairs, two at a time, not bothering to keep it down at such a late hour. He turned the corner and found Carson's apartment and rapt loudly on the door several times.

The door flung open, and Carson stood there in the doorway wearing only a pair of sleep shorts and a white t-shirt, he ran a hand through his hair sleepily. "Wow twice in one day, you can't stay away, can you?"

"You think that's funny?" Carisi shouted. "You could have killed her. You could have killed the baby."

"I don't know what you're talking about, I've been home all night." Carson said smugly with a fake sense of innocence.

"Of course, you have, because you got someone else to do your dirty work this time." Carisi said. "What is wrong with you?"

Carson motioned for Carisi to come in and against his better judgment—he did.

Carson leaned in close, getting right in Carisi's face, "Maybe I'm just into watching now."

Five years of pent-up hatred, rage and anger boiled over and before he knew what was happening Carisi reared back his fist and flew it into Carson's face. His fist connected with Carson's cheekbone, sending pain through Carisi's hands but he didn't care—it felt amazing to finally let that rage out and before he knew it, he had hit him with the other fist. And then another time.