Chapter 80

After hearing this, Xia Lin slowly lowered his eyes and remained silent.

Xia Liang said, "If you want to be with him, I will help you coordinate as much as possible and strive for the understanding and support of both parents. On this issue, it is estimated that there will be more resistance from the Song family. After all, Song Yan is their only child. If he does not marry and have a child, the Song family will end. But I believe that there is no unresolvable problem in the world. As long as we communicate with sincerity, the two sides will take a step back and calm down. The pros and cons are serious and at the same time deepening the blueprint for our families' cooperation and reconstruction. In terms of benefit distribution, it will not matter if our Xia family retreats. As long as we can make up for it, there will be nothing that can't be communicated."

Xia Lin was stunned for a moment. 

He always heard Father Xia say that Xia Liang's business negotiation skills were excellent. Even though he just listened to him talking about the negotiation ideas, Xia Lin was already admiring him.

Xia Liang continued: "But if you don't like him and don't want to be with him, then it would be easier. Regardless of the attitude of the elders in the family, I have the right to come forward and directly drive him out of our house. If he still doesn't leave, let his parents come and drag him by themselves."

Xia Lin was sweating. Cutting the problem off with a sharp knife was more like Xia Liang's usual style of behavior. 

"I...never thought about spending a lifetime with Song Yan." Xia Lin said in a low voice, "but in dealing with this matter, I think it's better to keep a low profile."

"Low-key?" Xia Liang squinted, disagreeing with Xia Lin's indecision at the moment.

Xia Lin quickly explained: "I just don't want to make things too much, especially with the Song family. You know, Song Yan's father looks very kind but once he finds out that Song Yan has done something violent, he would be ruthless about the matter. If we just poke the matter into the ears of Song Yan's parents, we'll be forcing Song Yan out of the closet and the consequences would be disastrous..."

Xia Liang listened to him without saying a word and the expression in Xia Lin's eyes gradually became interesting. 

"Why, what's wrong?" 

"We've been entangled with that boy, Song Yan. You still think so much about him. If you tell me Song Yan doesn't mean anything to you, I really won't believe it." Xia Liang said calmly, "But you said you don't want to be with Song Yan for a lifetime. Is there any reason for this? I want to hear it."

Xia Lin showed a look of embarrassment. He couldn't say anything about it. Once he'd say it, it would involve matters of the previous life. 

If he told Xia Liang what really happened, he wasn't sure how Xia Liang, a materialist, would react. Maybe he'd send him to a mental hospital.

At this moment, Xia Lin's phone rang. It was Ke Mei who called. 

Xia Lin answered the call almost gratefully for avoiding the conversation with his brother: "Hello, Teacher Ke!"

Xia Liang heard that it was a call from his teacher. Thinking it was about his studies, he got up and left, ending the conversation. 

Ke Mei said on the phone: "How many times have I said it, Don't call me teacher. By the way, do you have any plans for summer vacation?"

Xia Lin just remembered that the final exam was about to come and he had been troubled by such annoying things recently and he didn't even realize it. 

"I don't have any plans yet. I might go to other hospitals for internship. Let's wait until the exam is over."

Ke Mei was silent for a moment: "That's right. I have a place for a branch village. I may live in the village for a month, just in time for your summer vacation. Are you interested in being with me?"

"Okay." Xia Lin agreed. 

In his opinion, an internship in a branch village is more meaningful than an internship in a big city hospital. If Ke Mei can think of taking him, he certainly can't let this opportunity pass.

On the contrary, Ke Mei's voice hesitated: "Xia Lin, won't you even ask where to go? In case the conditions there are too difficult, I'm afraid you..." 

"It's okay, it doesn't matter. I can go anywhere. I am not afraid of hardships and I just need to learn something."

Hearing what he said, Ke Mei sighed: "That's okay. Come see me after you finish the exam and we will discuss the specific itinerary after we meet.

After hanging up the phone, Xia Lin couldn't sit still a bit. The exam was about to arrive. This semester they had a course teacher who was super abnormal. It's really the kind of pervert that will drop him if he is not careful. He has to go back and review quickly.

He drank two mouthfuls of porridge indiscriminately then ran to the living room and said to the old lady Xia: "Grandma, I can't accompany you today. I have to go back to school to review my homework." 

"Oh, oh, well, go now, go now." In the eyes of the old lady, the child's review for the exam is the most important thing so she doesn't want to delay him.

Xia Liang listened to him and turned to Zhou Shuo in the yard and said, "Zhou Shuo, Xia Lin is going back to school, you can send him off." 

"Oh." Zhou Shuo just finished washing the car, walked to the living room, wiped his sweat, and said to Xia Lin, "Brother Lin, are you leaving now?"

"Yes, let's go now." 

Xia Lin ran upstairs to take a backpack, hurriedly ran down, and got into the car after Zhou Shuo. 

The old lady Xia looked at the back of their car leaving, lowered the volume of the TV, and said to Xia Liang: "Why do I hear Zhou Shuo calling Xiao Lin brother?"

"Yeah, I guess it was Xiao Lin who asked him to change his mind," Xia Liang said, "This is also good, indicating that they are in a good relationship." 

The old lady Xia had a calm face and did not speak.

Xia Liang sat down next to her, held one of her hands, and patted gently: "Grandma, Zhou Shuo is the child you adopted anyway. You and Dad haven't spent time with Xiao Lin during your years abroad. For a long time, it was Zhou Shuo who accompanied him. I know your intention is to let him follow Xiao Lin inseparably and protect him loyally-listening to my father. You were also a little unhappy when you knew that we sent Zhou Shuo to the military academy but he's all Xiao Lin needs. It means that Xiao Lin needs a partner who he can open his heart to and talk about everything. He's more than just a dedicated bodyguard. Xiao Lin and I don't get along well with each other. He has never been close to me but he is willing to be close to Zhou Shuo. Isn't that good? Xiao Lin likes Zhou Shuo so he wants to realize Zhou Shuo's dream; similarly, if Zhou Shuo feels that he is respected in this family, he will have a stronger sense of belongingness and will sincerely help solve problems when we encounter them. Isn't this a virtuous circle?"

Old Mrs. Xia sighed and said, "I know, you young people often think that we, old people, are old-fashioned..." 

"How come?" Xia Liang laughed.

He just listened to Mrs. Xia continue: "Your dad and I are already old. This family will still be handed over to you. Do what you think is good."