Another Life: Family

Diavolo sat out on the patio in the dark. He was so aggravated with the circumstances he was facing. He wanted Lucifer to be happy but to give up his life as a demon for his love? He just didn't understand what was going through his best friend's head. He shouldn't have blown up at Lucifer like that, but he was just so shocked! This demon had been a blessing to Diavolo. He fell into his arms, almost literally, and had been by his side ever since. They had hundreds of years together and he wanted to give that up for a girl? He sighed and covered his face with his hands. Was he being selfish? Was he taking away his friend's happiness because he wanted to keep him around? He had a lot to think about. Maybe spending time with him and Cordelia would make him come to a more natural decision.

The next morning, Diavolo woke up surprisingly early. The sun had yet to come up and he figured everyone in the house would be sleeping, except maybe Lucifer. He was wrong. He wandered into the kitchen to find Cordelia cooking breakfast. "O-oh... Hello Cordelia, you're up quite early." He said. "Good morning, Diavolo! I am making breakfast for everyone but Lucifer tends to wake up earlier than most, so I wanted to get his started first. I have more going though, would you like some?" She asked. It seemed she was making Eggs Benedict. It was Lucifer's favorite human dish and Diavolo was very impressed. It did look very good. "Are you sure?" She nodded happily. He smiled and took a seat as she fixed him a plate.

"You're a really good cook!" Diavolo complimented as he finished his plate. "Lucifer is lucky to have someone who could cook like this". It panged at his heart a little to admit that but she looked so happy! "Really? Do you think? Thank you!" She beamed. It was a beautiful smile, so bright and pure. He could see why Lucifer wanted to make sure it never disappeared. He wanted to hate her so much but how could he?

"Good morning!" Lucifer greeted as he fixed his cuff links than kissed Cordelia's cheek. He looked up to see Diavolo and you could cut the tension in the room with a knife. Cordelia instantly felt uncomfortable, but she tried her best to fix it. "I made you your favorite." She spoke as she handed Lucifer a plate. "Thanks." He deadpanned, not taking his eyes off of Diavolo. He was not making this easy for her. "Why don't you go out on the patio to eat? It's a pretty lovely day for Seattle." She tried again. "Yes, I think I will do that." Lucifer griped as he took his plate and slammed the sliding door. "What did you two talk about last night? He's been pretty tense. I was pretending to be asleep and he just kept mumbling and huffing. Is everything okay?" - "Yes, everything is fine. We may argue sometimes but it always works out." Diavolo assured her, or was he trying to assure himself?

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Over the next year, Diavolo spent time with Cordelia and Lucifer whenever he could travel to the human realm. Cordelia got to meet the rest of Lucifer's brothers and Barbatos as well along the way. She was a very accommodating host and Diavolo was shocked at how well she adapted to the demons. It was bittersweet, he was happy that she welcomed them with open arms, but it also meant that Lucifer was right when he said that their relationship would work out even after she was introduced to the chaos.

She was like a typical housewife. Food was always ready, which was impressive considering Beel was there. She cleaned up after them, did their laundry, did the dishes, and made sure everyone was happy. Diavolo realized that he did really like her. He could see what Lucifer was talking about when he said she made him smile and be more playful. It was like a new him and it was starting to make Diavolo see had really thought about this. He was a completely different person here, he was even nicer to his brothers. He hadn't been like that since they first arrived in Devildom.

"Lucifer, may I speak to you for a moment?" Diavolo asked. Lucifer nodded and followed him to the study. "In these past few months, I have come to realize that Cordelia is an amazing woman. You really want to stay here, don't you? You really want to do this?" He asked. "Yes, Lord Diavolo. I do." Lucifer had never been so sure of anything and that was saying something. "...then I grant you your wish." Lucifer nearly dropped his wine glass. His eyes grew wide and he felt like he was having an out-of-body experience. "My Lord, thank you!!" Lucifer went to go shake Diavolo's hand. Diavolo grabbed it but pulled Lucifer in for a strong hug. "I can't reverse this after it's done. You will be mortal. I will ask this one more time, are you sure this is what you want?" - "Yes!! Thank you, this makes what I'm about to do so much easier." Diavolo tilted his head in confusion as Lucifer went and called Cordelia and his brothers over to the gazebo.

"Cordelia my love, could you come here please?" Cordelia stood up from her lounge chair next to Asmo's and walked toward him. "You have made me happier than I have been in a very, very long time. You have opened my eyes to so much and taught me how to have fun again. You have this crazy, calming aura to you and I can always come to you when I need to talk or to get the best back massages anytime I feel stressed. You support me in everything that I do and I have come to realize that I can't live without you. You mean the world to me. Cordelia Rae Barton, will you marry me?" Lucifer begged as he got down on one knee. Everyone was in shock. Cordelia looked over at Asmo who shrugged happily, giving her a little nod and a wink. She turned to Diavolo next and saw that he was just as surprised as she was but he had a small smirk on his face. After a moment she answered. "Yes!! Yes I will marry you!" She cried. Lucifer scooped her up in his arms and swung her around with delight. Everyone cheered for them and they continued their barbeque celebration, all talking about the happy couple.