The Black Knight

Author: MeganLockhart

Genre/Trope: Historical Romance;

Status: Complete

|  S U M M A R Y  |

She found him on the beach. His clothes spoke of wealth, his hands told of work, but it was the scars on his face that told Nan who the man before her was, Sir William Horton, the resident Hero of Ashford. He was the richest man in five counties and a well known bastard. Rumors of every kind were whispered about Ashford's infamous Black Knight, his all encompassing cruelty, his frozen heart, the twisted means by which he found pleasure. Every creature in Ashford knew to give him a wide berth, to keep a wagging tongue still, and eyes trained anywhere but on him when he came into view.

So when Nan found him and was neither distant, silent nor looking anywhere but directly at him, Ashford's Black Knight began to stumble over the oddity of this girl. Her fearlessness, her honesty, her intelligence, even her unassuming beauty held him captivated. But how could a simple beggar girl be so many things? Who was this woman that held his attention, or more importantly who had she been before coming to Ashford?

 But how could a simple beggar girl be so many things? Who was this woman that held his attention, or more importantly who had she been before coming to Ashford?

|  R E V I E W  |

This is my first historical story I've read - outside Historical Asian stories that I usually go to - and this is a good starter if anybody is interested in trying this genre.

First of all, this isn't anything like a fairytale nor a feel good kind of story. It's set in old times. People's perspective in life from that era is not the same as in our current time. Therefore, reality in that timeline is poles apart from modern time. So, I suggest to be open-minded enough when reading this book.

That aside, although the main characters are flawed that would seriously make me sigh out of frustrations -like, their choice on how they deal with certain situations, their growth was something I was dying and so looking forward to see. It was satisfying when they definitely did so! I liked how their development in the story wasn't rushed, so the slow burn was necessary given their circumstance - realistically speaking.

Another one I liked about this book is the humor. Ah, yes, humor - I didn't expected there would be countless laughable scenes in this story... not at all after I've checked the tags. It was surprising that some parts were actually hilarious that I wondered why author didn't include it in the tags. Still, it was pretty much enjoyable if you ask me.

Lastly, author's writing is spectacular! I couldn't get enough of the writing. First paragraph, I'm already captivated with the writing style. Plus, I learnt so many words because of my unfamiliarity with them at first read (and considering English is not my mother language). I literally had to have a dictionary on standby in case I come across a word I don't know about. Although the ending was bit rushed for me, like the time jump part could have been posted on a separate chapter or could have been an epilogue, Author's work is already amazingly well-written even for a first draft. Storyline, progress and plot development is good. Characterization is so good also, that makes it easier to understand and relate with the characters. I would definitely be in line if there will be a rewritten version in the future.

Recommending to check this out!

. . .

V O T E  |  C O M M E N T  |  S H A R E

Follow me and add Sleepless Nights to your library if you want to see more of my content

Let me know what you think of this ♡ Also, you can suggest or recommend your favorite book here (Don't be shy)

Feel free to stop by on my profile page. I have a lot of reading lists there and organized by genre/trope (constantly updates and add more books to go on my lists). So, if you're planning to look for other books to read, head over there and go check them out. I hope they help.

Happy readings ♡