VI

Jacky

After the girls left I went into the kitchen to get started on dinner. I was really just warming up some left overs but I needed to do it soon because Emrys needed to take her medicine.

As I was getting everything ready there was a knock at the door that caused me to look back in confusion. I stopped what I was doing to wipe my hands off before heading to the front door. I unlocked and opened the door to see Candace, the social worker, standing there.

"Hey Candace what can I do for you today?" I asked as I invited her inside.

"I came to give you some news. Is Em up? This involves her too." She said as she walked in and stood by the couch.

"Yes she is. Go ahead and sit down in the kitchen, I'll get her." I said as I walked past her to go to Em's room. I knocked on her door before opening it and peeking my head in.

"What's up AJ?" She said as she sat up in her bed.

"Candace is here. She said she has some news for us." I said as I walked in completely to help her get up.

"What kind of news?" She asked as she allowed me to help her up and to her walker.

"I'm not sure. Hopefully its some good news." I replied as we started to walk out of her room.

We walked down the hall and were soon in the kitchen. I helped Em sit across from Candace before going to check on the food.

Omniscient

"How you doing today girly?" Candace asked as she took her portfolio out of her bag.

"I'm doing pretty good. Angel, Kierra and Shamika came to do my hair and makeup today and that was fun." She replied with a smile.

"That's nice. Did you take any pictures?" Candace asked causing Emrys to nod.

"Yeah wanna see em?" She asked as she pulled her phone out of her pocket. She went to her camera roll and pulled up the pictures before turning the phone towards Candace so she could see.

"Oouu that blonde looked so good on you. Why'd you take it off already?"

"Ion do wigs for real. My scalp too sensitive for me to wear it for long periods of time. Same reason why I couldn't get my hair loc'd." She said as she put her phone away.

"I like your hair the way it is. It fits you. But I came over to give you some news." Candace replied as she opened up her portfolio.

"What is it?" Emrys asked glancing at all the paperwork.

"Do you remember anything about your birth family?" Candace asked causing Emerys to pause.

"Not much. I can't remember their faces very well. I know that everyone use to call my grandmother Tammy but that wasn't her real name." She said as she shifted herself in her seat to become more comfortable.

"Well I'm asking because I believe we found some of your relatives."

Time seemed to have stood still after Candace said that. Emrys held her breath and Jacky stopped cooking before turning around to look at Candace.

"How? Who? Where are they?" Em sputtered out questions as she began to feel anxious.

"Someone reached out to us after seeing you on Vicky's instagram live. She claims to be your cousin, her name is Marissa. She sent an old picture as proof." Candace said as she pulled out a picture and set it on the table.

Emrys slowly picked it up and looked at it in awe. It was definitely her in the picture, alongside another little girl and a young woman, most likely an aunt. Jacky walked over to the table and looked at the picture over her shoulder.

"Who's on the end? Behind me?" Emrys asked as she set the picture down.

"That's one of your aunts, Michelle. And through them we were able to get in contact with your grandmother and she sent me this." Candace replied as she pulled out another photo and slid it towards her.

Emrys and Jacky both looked at the picture before smiling brightly.

"I remember this day. We were at my aunt's house. She had just finished giving us pedicures and they let me get red polish on my toes for the first and last time ever." She said with a small laugh. Tears started to fill her eyes but she wiped them away before they could fall.

"How old were you?" Jacky asked softly as she took the photo from Emrys.

"Couldn't have been older than 2. Maybe 3. It was before my sister was born though." She replied with a sad smile.

"You had a sister?" Jacky asked as she gave the photo back to Candace.

"I have a picture of the two of you. If you want to see it." Candace interrupted before Emrys could respond.

"Can I?" She asked softly as she waited for Candace to pull it out. She slid one last photo across the table to Emrys for her to see.

She picked it up and tears immediately started to fall as she stared at the picture of her and her sister sitting beside each other on the porch. They were wearing matching outfits which made Emrys laugh lightly since they were 3 years apart

"Aww look at you. Just as cute as a button." Jacky cooed as she looked at the picture with a smile.

"Savannah Rose. My first bestfriend ever. She was such a bully though." Emrys said softly as she stared at her sister.

"Where is she now?" Jacky asked softly.

"In heaven probably driving Jesus crazy." She said as she set the picture down to wipe her eyes again. Candace took the picture and put it back in her portfolio before looking up at Emrys.

"They want to see you but only if you're comfortable with it. Your grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and your siblings."

"Siblings? I got siblings?" Emrys asked with a small smile.

"A few of them. Two more from your mom and four from your dad."

"Wow."

~~~~~~~~

word count: 1,026
edited

(just a lil something cause i was bored lol)