53 - Stalemates (EP. 01)

Start from the beginning

Aiden finally dragged the gear shift to ‘Park’, clapping his hands as he slipped off his seatbelt. “Alright ladies, we’ve arrived at our destination.”

Elsa leaned over and kissed his cheek. “Thank you, Mister Google Maps,” She sportively praised, as she began to assist Claire with unbuckling her safety belt. Slamming the car door shut himself, Aiden slipped on a minimal tux and watched as Elsa demonstrated shortly why fidgeting with the lock won’t do anything to the squirming preschooler.

Claire looked beyond ready to take on the day once she landed on her toes—Smiggle backpack tugged around her arms, her chin upwardly raised high, her Crayola customized name tag flat on her chest, and each hand of hers held by both her Mama and Papa.

By the time they’ve reached the air-conditioned entrance, that was one of the few chances Aiden has gotten to see other children without pouring all his soul behind a textbook as he walks and tries to avoid societal circumstances.

Although that was an entirely different perspective, since children around Claire’s age were a different story; because they were smiling, huddling together and talking about who gets to play the new building blocks first, about what they could possibly get as a token in exchange for an A mark–

About being a child.

The gaudy hallways were painted with vision, acrylic images of a sunny day staining sky blue walls. Decorated pin boards were hung and arranged with pictures of students enjoying the campus facilities, and obviously the playground was the one widely favored by most.

Then they made a turn, and display windows featuring Fisher-Price tables, chairs and blackboards came to view. Classrooms were brimming with noise and four to six-year-olds chasing each other, and maybe all the colors were making him dizzy since he didn’t realize they’ve already reached the little girl’s respective room.

Elsa bent down slowly to her daughter’s level. The blue of Claire’s eyes were strikingly gazing up at her, reminding the young mother of the first time the child stared at her this way, plea and brewing storms combined mirrored in each iris. The red bow regularly decorating her sandy-blond hair prompted her back to the memory of the girl picking it in the mall herself, and she couldn’t even walk and go without her mother around at that time.

It broke her heart a little, but it made her smile.

“You’re growing up, aren’t you, Claire-bear?”

Claire shyly bowed her head slightly, “I am?”

“Mama thinks so,” Elsa managed to whisper. “Have fun and...” She drifted off, the sight of Claire turning misty, “Take your time, darling, okay?”

“O-okay,” Claire nodded between her mother’s hands, and Elsa silently lets her toddle off to what she thought was the classroom’s direction, but in truth, Aiden’s. The Creative Director looked down, meeting the little girl’s happy approach the same way.

“Got your crayons sharpened, kid?” He ruffled her hair, the usual gesture never failing to make Claire’s heart soar. The child motioned for him to move forward, nearer, and he did in accordance, letting Claire whisper the reason of her bliss today.

“I’m happy you brought me to school today. Bye bye!”

Picking up her lunchbox, Claire grinned at him one last time before she hurried off, entering the room and placing her bags in a vacant, pink cubby hole. Whilst Bella, Julie, Ricky and Kenneth swarmed her with enthusiastic hi’s and hello’s, she saw Miss Harper settle the class to their individual seats and spare a brief glance towards the windows.

“Who was that man with your mama, Claire?”

Claire beamed brightly.

“My Papa.”

•••

The clutter in his head has made him observant—a realization that struck Aiden just recently, or maybe Arendelle Co. is just that too matchless and upscale; an office building without the usual IKEA splash employees would doze in, and a place also blessed with a heavenly breakfast lounge three dollar muffins are grabbed from.

Each facility was simply immaculate, not even a common dilemma of peeling paint, and apparently the word ‘cubicle’ sickens most people around here. 

Beep, another uniformed hireling passed through the scanner gate and Marshmallow’s stoic glare. An I.D was of course required to be shown over to the entrance security team, and Aiden does miss using the convenient card, an item he barely needed when everybody knows who Director Fireheart is.

•••

“Are you sure you want to go to work today, love?”

Aiden ceased her worries gently, as he seized paper after paper to a labeled folder, “More than sure about it. I just want to distract myself a little from–everything. No matter how long it takes.”

His dimples soon fixed a renewed smile. He walked over to his fiancée’s figure with hands trailing up and down her sides affectionately, “Besides, I really want to get some wedding planning done with you later this afternoon. We all know that the cake flavor is one of the essentials in the list...”

Elsa pouted in opposition, yet leaned against his touch, “Still. While I would absolutely love to discuss if we’re going for chocolate or chocolate, I want to know if you’re ready to be back on office track or no.”

“And I am. And I know there is a massive tower of files standing proudly on your desk and you don’t feel like tending to it yet. Benefits of going off to work today are, though,” Kisses were pressed to her shoulder blades, “I’ll be bringing what I need to your office so you can have me nearby. And in case your hair tie gives out on you again when you do another impromptu bun.”

Elsa blushed, sighing, “You’ve been practicing that, haven’t you?”

“And you both can practice the rest on your honeymoon.”

Of course—anywhere is basically open territory to Heine, especially forgotten open doors and the way to hit a CEO Chairwoman’s nerve. His gloved finger twirled a lengthy, golden lock, a habit to flaunt the Gucci cufflinks matching the jade of the Executive Director’s eyes.

Lithely shutting the bereft plane of wood behind him, Heine simply waved at the couple parting away from each other due to his expense. “Oh, and—good morning.”

Elsa crossed her arms, “To you too. So what’s the big news?”

Heine raised an amused brow, “I’m certain that wasn’t a lucky guess that I have news?”

“You catwalked into the room, Heine,” Elsa casually explained, “I wasn’t born yesterday either. Heine Schmidt does not catwalk without bearing some scoop.”

“Then I am flattered you noticed. Though I’m afraid it is best for the two of you,” Heine informed, “To follow me to the conference room because there is an urgent matter I’ve partially taken into my own hands.”

Aiden doesn’t even want to know.

To be continued
on the next chapter...