William wiped the tears away with the back of his hand. then looked to his older brother. 

William: "Now what do we do?"

Max stood up and pointed to the mountains.

Max: "We head north and hopefully find a new place to settle down."

The other children looked at their brother and nodded their heads in agreement. 

Susan: "Then let's get started together."

And with that, the children entered the forest leaving behind all they ever knew in hopes that they would be able to start over. 

Time Skip 

The children had been walking for hours now and the sun was starting to set while the youngest two were showing signs of exhaustion. 

William: "Max can we rest now I'm tired?" He said rubbing his eyes. 

Max knew they couldn't go any more. Especially in the dark where predators could easily attack them. 

He looked around and spotted a descent sized cave that had a big opening. Which he figured it had more than enough room for them to stay the night. 

Max: There we will set up camp in that cave over there for tonight. 

He lead his siblings over to the rock and Rachel and William quickly laid down on the soft soil under inside the cave.

Max and Susan used a tarp she had brought and nailed it with pegs into the ground and top of the rock making a makeshift wall. 

Max set out and came back with fire wood but he also saw that the sky was filling up with more storm clouds. 

William: "Max are the monsters going to come out tonight?" He said while shaking in fear of the approaching storm.

Max: "I don't know but if they do then I will be there to stop them OK." He said giving his brother a smile. 

William: OK

Max started a fire while Susan prepared their dinner for the evening. She prepared a meat and veggie stew out of some of the food she found in the bunker. The scent of the stew cooking in the pot over the fire quickly filled the cave. The two youngest were almost drooling as they watched Susan cook. But Max sat near the entrance of the cave with his rifle laid across his legs.

After the stew was done  Susan passed the two on lookers a bowl which they quickly started to devour. 

Susan: "Slow down you two you'll end up sick." She said with a small smile.

She walked over to where Max was sitting. Upon arriving at his spot she saw that the rain was already coming down but not as bad as last night. She came up beside him and handed him a bowl which he accepted gratefully. 

Max: "Thanks I needed this," He said while starting to eat.

Susan: "You should come back with us it will be better for you and it will make William and Rachel feel much better knowing their big brother is close by."

Max let out a long sigh as he finish his stew. 

Max "Ok I'll join you guys but I will be staying up to keep watch." He said sternly. 

He then got up and walked back to their campsite. After the children had finished their supper. they cleaned everything up and rolled out their sleeping bags onto the ground. Once they crawled into the bags it didn't take long for the two youngest to fall asleep. Followed by Susan shortly after. 

Max stayed up keeping watch over his family ensuring nothing could get to them. After awhile of watching over them Max's eyes became real heavy and he himself eventually came to and fell asleep. 

However, he was quickly woken up by the sound of something walking into the cave. And from the sound of it, it sounded big. He heard hit grunt in pain as it leaned against the cave wall eventually siding down to a sitting position. 

He looked over the rocks they were all sleeping behind and when he saw it he couldn't believe his eyes. It was a giant wolf but it looked humanoid in some parts of its body. He then saw that the creature was holding a big starch on its left thigh.  

???: "Man that really hurts." it said painfully.

He was shocked that it could speak and by the sound of its voice, it sounded female. But What he failed to notice was that Rachel had woken up from then noise and when she saw the wolf she cried in fear. 

Rachel: "AH!!!"

Max's eyes went wide as he saw the beast look over at them. He then noticed that his guns were too far out of his reach to get to. He could only stare at the wolf seeing if she would spare them or kill them. 

TO BE CONTINUED. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow you made it to the end of the chapter. All I want to say is thank you all for giving my story the time of your day. Please vote and comment what you thought about the chapter and, if there is any way I can improve my writing. And once again thank you all so very much.