READ FIRST

Hey beautiful,

Thank you so much for choosing to read this novel, but before you do, I need to talk about something very important.... Mental illness. 

I originally wrote this story when I was around 17 years old and struggling with depression. As a coping mechanism, I locked myself away in my bedroom with an old, archaic computer and I wrote everything I felt down. Of course, this is a fiction/fantasy story so the characters and situations are fictional, but a lot of the emotions/thoughts are very real. 

While editing, I debated with myself a lot about how much of this story I wanted to alter, and ultimately, I decided to keep the majority of the storyline the same. I'm hoping that by doing this I'll be able to help anyone who may be struggling with mental illness know they aren't alone, or at the very least, offer them an escape they may relate to. My goal in sharing this story is also to spread awareness that depression is a very real illness, even if you can't see it from the outside.

I lost one of my closest friends, Katie, to suicide. This book is dedicated to her. And these raw emotions are told in an attempt to help other people like her.

You are not alone.

And I promise you, it does and will get better. I am living, breathing proof of that. I've been down that dark tunnel and came out the other side. With therapy (and sometimes prescribed medication), things can get better. So please don't give up. <3

Mental health is so, so important, and it's something that is really close to my heart. So if you're having dark thoughts please reach out to someone. Talk to someone. Some places that can help with resources are Beyond Blue, The Black Dog Institute, and Lifeline. I'm also a huge supporter of RUOK - they're an organisation in Australia that promotes asking friends, relatives, and even strangers on the street if they're okay. 

Starting a conversation can save a life. :)

Anyway, I hope you are okay, and that this story helps you in some way. 

Remember that you are amazing, and so valuable and so loved - even if it may not always seem like it. You matter in the world and I hope you won't ever forget that.

LOVE YOU ALL!

- M 

Story trigger warning!

This series involves the following:

* Alcohol & drug abuse

* Coarse language

* Abusive relationships

* Violence

* Bullying

* Sexual references 

* Mental health issues

* Attempted suicide

* And really bad humour