"Your mother is busy today; I'll be fine soon... I promise."

"You're lying..." Cassandra called, the frown in her voice piercing my heart like a dagger.

I went silent after that, tears still streaming down my face. The door unlocked and I tensed, my gaze landing on three very concerned vampires. They quickly made their way towards me but were careful to keep their distance so I had the personal space they assumed I wanted. A dry laugh left me at their worried expressions, my normally vibrant [E/C] eyes were dull and nearly lifeless, causing the three to flinch.

"Girls... I'll be fine. This isn't the first time this has happened to me." I muttered, slowly standing up and walking towards them.

"Is there anything we can do to help?" Daniela asked timidly, immediately wrapping her arms around me when I opened mine to offer a hug.

"Just be yourselves," I whispered, glancing at the other two. "I'll stop doing my usual routine so I don't run into any maids. But you three — just do what you normally do. It's always made me happy to see you three happy and enjoying yourselves."

Cassandra and Bela nodded, the both of them joining Daniela and hugging me. I immediately returned the hug, letting out a soft sigh. 'I didn't realize how much I needed this,' The sound of heels clicking reached my ears and I tensed, grumbling quietly about their mother coming, knowing she'd be upset that I kept this hidden from her.

"Now... which one of you told your mother?" I asked softly, watching as the three of them shared a look.

"They didn't tell me," Alcina's voice reached my ears and my mood got just a bit better. "I could tell something was off. I knew from when you woke up this morning. I was calling Mother Miranda to let her know I'll be spending the day with my family instead of doing her work."

A faint smile tugged at the corner of my lips — although I struggled to keep it due to my mood. The girls tightened their grip on me, huddling into me even more. It warmed my heart to know how much they cared about me.

"Can you read to me today then, Alcina?" I asked timidly, making the girls giggle against me. "I'll push you three away."

"Don't threaten us!"

"Mother!"

"No, you're ours now!"

Alcina and I started laughing at their responses, earning quiet grumbles and hisses from the three. They eventually released me from their hug but made sure to stay at my side.

"How about I read to all of you? Since I don't think our children will want to be far from their future stepmother, especially when you feel like this." Alcina mused, causing the three to chirp in agreement.

"That's fine with me, love," I whispered, all four of us following her as she exited the room.

The moment we entered the library, Alcina lifted me up and asked her daughters to find a few books. She carried me to a couch as they took off searching, sitting down and placing me in her lap. Her head dipped to my neck and she planted gentle kisses along my skin, causing me to relax into her as her arms held me close.

"Next time, tell me when you feel like this," She whispered against my skin, sending a shiver down my spine. "That way I can call Miranda immediately and we can spend all day cuddled in bed. And the girls will bring us food and wine."

"Okay, okay, deal," I muttered, wrapping my arms around her neck. "Now back to the kisses, please? They're soothing."

She let out a quiet chuckle before continuing to plant kisses on my skin, stopping once the girls had returned with books. I was honestly shocked at their collection — I expected at least one to be about death or torture, but all of the books were fantasy stories. The girls sat next to their mother, huddled close together with a blanket around the three of them.

"You three are precious," I muttered, letting out a quiet squeak when Alcina lifted me up and turned me around in her lap much to my displeasure. "I enjoyed sitting like that."

The girls made gagging noises before giggling, making me roll my eyes and lightly hit Cassandra's shoulder — since she was the closest. They all knew why I preferred sitting like that and it embarrassed me every time.

"Later, prinţesă." Alcina murmured, plucking a book from Bela's pile before opening it. "For now, we stay here as a family."

"Yeah, mama." The three said in unison, sticking their tongues out at me.

"Gremlins." I countered, offering them a warm smile.

"We love you too."