13 | shatter my heart

Start from the beginning

I shakily slipped out of the window , eyeing the tempting end below . I stood on the ledges of a balcony as I slowly lowered myself to ground level . Cold night air blasted into my lungs . I started to sprint , my legs pounding against the cobblestone road .

I halted in front of a familiar hickory doored house , and knocked . " Hello ? Hello ?! " I burst . I was desperate - Himari's father was a cop and perhaps he could help my family . " Hello ? Kirihana-san ?" .

Minutes later , the door creaked open . A light haired , bearded man popped his head out . " Oh it's you (Surname)-san . Why are you here at this hour ? " he questioned . 
" There were a lot of bad people in the apartment . They beat up my father , asking for money . I think it's this money ," I spoke , producing a wad of cash from my jumper pocket . 

A frown dipped Kirihana-san's forehead . " This is serious . Those people are loan sharks , and they apparently want their money back from your parents . Get inside (Name) . Those people are probably looking for you ," he voiced sternly .

I sat silently on top of the bed in Suna Medical Centre . The Kirihana family had took care of my medical expenses , but the news that my parents were murdered by the loan sharks were all over television .

I pulled the thin , measly blanket over my feeble , frail body . I wanted to die - if I die , I don't have to endure this pain anymore , plus I would be with my parents .

" Otou-san .. Okaa-san .." I sobbed , burying my face into the pillow . " Why are you sad ? " a disembodied voice spoke . I swiftly turned around , and saw a red haired boy , staring wide eyed at myself .

Numerous wires were attached to his chest and wrists . " My parents have been killed .. And I'm all alone ," I blurted .

A sad look formed on the boy's face . " I'd like to go and comfort you , but I can't move much with all these wires attached ," he said dryly . I got off my bed and walked towards the boy's bed .
" Why are you here ? " I questioned . The boy shook his head . " I don't really know . All I remember is going to a park , where people started to taunt me . I left the place , and my sister comforted me . I forgot everything at that point ,".

I took the boy's hand , which was cold - not that mine was much warmer though . " At least you have a sister ..".

The boy nodded . " What is your name ? " I asked . 

" It's Gaa-". " Go to sleep kids ! " the nurse instructed , making me scramble into my bed , leaving 'Gaa'.

The nurse pulled all the curtains , placing a thin , yet distracting barrier between the child patients .

I no longer heard anything , minus the constant beeping sound of 'Gaa's heart monitor . I let out a sigh as I closed my eyes and forced myself to sleep - hopefully for forever .

When I woke up , the first thing I wanted to do was talking to 'Gaa' . I did not even get to know his full name .

" Eh ? " . The bed was empty , and all the machines were gone . I searched for a nurse , eager to ask about 'Gaa'.

" Ani-san ! Where is the boy in this bed ? " I asked . " Aah .. Sabaku-san .. He went back home earlier this morning ," the nurse explained . I nodded grimly . A bitter feeling grew in my chest .

" Also , (Surname)-san , you will be transferred to Konoha Medical Centre this afternoon ,".

I nodded again . I only met him for a short while ,  but I felt like he could understand what I feel .
And he had just been ripped away from me .

I wiped off the blood from my face , taking deep breaths in an attempt to calm myself .
I slipped off my clothes and entered the shower room .

After I was done with cleaning myself , I slipped on a lacy bathrobe . My clothes were all outside , and I needed to go and retrieve them .

My hair was damp and water dripped from the tips . It did not help at all - it was winter and I was literally freezing to death .

I walked out of the bathroom , a plastic smile plastered on .
" Hey Gaara ! " I burst as I wrapped my arms around his chest , inhaling his scent deeply . " (Name) .." Gaara let out a smile of relief . " You were coughing so badly in the bathroom earlier . I wondered if something was up ,".

I shook my head. " Nothing serious . It was just a tickle in my throat ,". Gaara placed his hands on my palms . " That's good to hear ," he spoke deeply . I slowly released my embrace and walked towards my sling bag , which I had tossed away last night .

I took out a simple jumper and a jacket , along with a pair of jeans and headed towards the bathroom .

As I slipped on the jacket , a thought passed through my mind .
The doctor in Konoha had told me , I will be cured for now .

If it happens again , the odds of my survival is close to none ...
I swiftly left the bathroom and walked towards Gaara . He stood by the balcony , a vacant expression on his face.

" Gaara ? " I called out . To tell the truth , I was exhausted to walk up to him , with every step I took I  felt like a spear was gouged in my chest.

" Yeah ? " he responded as he turned around . With the few bits of energy I had left , I headed towards Gaara . 

" Are you okay (Name) ? " he voiced , taking account of my wobbly steps .
I nodded , but within seconds , my legs broke down , making me tumble onto the floor. "(Name) !".

It was the last thing I heard before I fell into a state of unconsciousness . Despite that , I could still feel Gaara's hands on my cheek , and my back on his lap . 

But then again , he is the patient , and I am the nurse . Shouldn't I be the one taking care of him , and not the other way around ?

The only theory that I could come up with is that we are past the acquaintance stage , and definitely the friendzone .

If this disease would be the death of me , I don't think I'll miss anything , except the person that is holding me gently in his warm arms , and constantly kissing my forehead .