I'd bought a new outfit for this, and when I tried it on in the store I felt like I looked almost like a million dollars, so I was looking forward to trying it on again. It was a black top covered in a rose-pattern, and a waist-high pencil skirt in the same shade of red as the roses on the top. My hair was curled, my lips covered in a light peach tint, and around my neck hung a beautiful, silver heart that Helix gave me for my birthday just a few months back.

The next few minutes, after Tish gushed her heart out about my outfit, we spent waiting. The oven was warm and ready, pizza doughs rolled out and toppings ready to be put on, as we all calmed our nerves and waited for him. Well, I calmed my nerves. The other two ate pieces of shredded cheese and pepperoni while they were talking about everything and nothing at the same time.

Until there was a knock on the door again.

I got up, and the other two went behind me as I walked over to the door, and swung it open, biting my lip.

Helix stood there with his leather jacket swung over his shoulder, a white shirt loosely tucked into his dark jeans and a smirk as he looked at me. He took the last step up to me, put his hand on my waist and kissed my lips deeply.

Just when he pulled back, Jesse and Tish both yelled, "Surprise!"

He chuckled and I whispered, "Happy birthday."

He kissed me again and thanked me, before going into my apartment to hug his mother. I closed the door with my cheeks warm and red, a little embarrassed he showed such affection with his mom present, but he didn't seem to care at all.

"Happy birthday, Helix," Tish said, "I hope I didn't ruin your expectations of a quiet night in with your girlfriend."

"Nah, I knew," he muttered.

"What?"

They both looked at me with big smiles on their faces as if it was obvious that he knew, while Jesse just turned around, avoiding the conversation as he announced, "I'm making a pizza."

Helix walked over to me again. "Stevens is a terrible liar, he blew it two weeks ago."

I turned towards my stupid friend in the kitchen and scowled. "Jerk."

Tish just laughed, and walked over to look at Helix and I together. She ran a hand across each of our cheeks with a happy sigh. "I really like this one, Helix, so if you screw it up, I'm cutting you out of my will," she informed him with a serious look, before giving us both a wink and joining Jesse in the kitchen.

Helix turned me around in his arms, holding me close as he leaned down to whisper, "Thank you, Olivia. I love this."

"I mean, in a year you'll probably have a huge party since it's a round number, so I thought it would be nice with a calm evening," I said back, sending a smile towards Tish as I caught her looking at us.

"Yours was half-round, and I wasn't allowed to do anything but sit here quietly and pretend it wasn't happening," he retorted, slightly offended.

I shoved his shoulder. "Shut up."

We both chuckled, but before he could say anything else I pulled him with me to the kitchen island so we could get some food as well.

The pizza was delicious, it was the best homemade crust I'd ever eaten, and I made Tish send me the recipe for the dough so I could try to replicate it some time. Helix and Jesse ate two pizzas each, and Tish sent me this "I told you"-look. While we were planning the small party, she said we'd need a ton of dough, because those boys had already eaten her out of her house a handful of times before.

When everyone was properly filled, Tish picked up the gift she'd brought for her son, and handed it to him. He thanked her, he properly thanked her by getting up and kissing her cheek, before opening it. It was a couple of books— famous novels he'd apparently set up on a wishlist for her a while ago— a potted cactus and a gift card on some online shop for motorcycle parts and gadgets. He liked it a lot, and thanked his mom again with a big smile.

"This is from your dad, Anne and John," Tish said as she handed him an envelope, with a smile on her face. Anne was Helix's dad's wife, and John her son. "They said to tell you happy birthday, and they were sorry they couldn't come."

"I'll call him later and say thanks." Helix smiled as he opened the envelope and found another gift card for the same online shop, and he looked happy about it.

Jesse gave just handed him his phone, showing a picture of a helmet he'd bought for him that hadn't arrived yet. It was a full-face helmed with a visor that looked almost like a mirror, with his name written on the side.

Then it was time for my gift. I was nervous, but I picked up a roll of paper I'd hid between the wall and the couch, and cleared my throat carefully as I handed it to him. He looked at me with his brows raised, but didn't say anything as he unrolled it. After he'd looked at it a few seconds, I said, "I, um, I noted the styles you've liked the best from my assignments lately, and, um, well, I made you this— a sketch that I can paint on your bike, if you want.."

He looked at the drawing, his mouth open as he scanned it. Tish squeezed Jesse between them to see with a big smile on her face, and I waited expectantly as he looked at the green plants and leaves, the necklace he gave me was drawn into it, hanging around one of the plants stems, and it was all designed to wrap around the gas tank on his motorcycle.

"Holy shit," he breathed, still staring at it.

"It's beautiful," Tish said, looking up at me, "I might have to ask you to do something for my flower shop."

I smiled at her, nodding that I would definitely do it if she asked, and then I looked at Helix again. He had the drawing laid out on his lap, and he looked up at me, brows furrowed, before he put his arm around me and pulled me in for a hug. "I love it, baby, thank you."

He kissed the top of my head, and smiled widely, before being interrupted by Jesse who slammed his hands on his thighs and said, "Well, then, time for my amazing cupcakes!"

Indeed, they were amazing. Even Helix was surprised that Jesse had made them all by himself, and the rest of the evening was filled with laughter, talking and eating. Helix and I promised to go visit Tish soon, and Helix promised to make a lasagna like the one he made for me after she begged for it, saying she wanted to taste it after it won my heart so easily. Jesse wanted to taste it too, so he made Helix promise to make it for him as well.

By midnight, Jesse grabbed the keys to my hatchback and went out to start it as Tish hugged Helix and I multiple times and said thanks for a wonderful day. She was great, and I was already looking forward to getting to know her even better. Helix kissed her cheek and promised to call soon, before she left.

When we were alone, Helix turned to me, looking me over with his scarred brow raised in that way I loved, and smirked. "I love you, my little rose," he said, his eyes lingering on my chest— probably on the rose pattern, and nothing else.

"I love you too, handsome," I said, taking a step closer. "I hope you had a great day."

"Oh, I did, and I can't wait to get my bike painted," he said, taking a step closer as well, to meet me. "I'm the luckiest guy alive."

I looked at him through my lashes, trying— and probably failing— to hide my embarrassment, but it felt good to share it with him and having him so genuinely excited about it. He took my hand, and said, "As lovely as your clothes are tonight, I can't wait to get you out of them." He looked at the time and grinned. "It's still my birthday for a few more minutes." So he put his hands on my waist, hoisted me up on his shoulder and carried me to the bedroom while I giggled happily, so grateful for both him and the successful party.