chapter 15

Brushing through silver strands of hair, you finished putting Eri's hair into braids. The girl was excited, today Mirio was going to come over and spend the day with her, along with Deku. The two aspiring heroes were busy and had finally got the chance to visit.

Mirio was trying to deal with his lack of quirk, but a quick word with you and Aizawa (Eri included), they would be soon trying to rewind his body but didn't want to push Eri yet.

Deku was swamped with school but got clearance from U.A to leave campus, thus leading to today.

The door bell rang, and Eri eagerly reached for the door and yanked it open.

"Eri!"

She was quick to hug the tall blond boy, and soon hug Deku as well. You stood in the hallway, watching the interaction as you waved hello. From the little things Eri has told you, they had risked their lives for her, getting hurt over and over because they believed she was worth it.

You will forever owe them.

"Deku, you have my number right?" The boy didn't even startle when your voice filtered through his mind.

The green haired boy nodded. "I do, and Aizawa-sensei's number as well. We'll be back in time for dinner."

This was the first time you two would be apart.

A bittersweet moment. 

You knew you couldn't stay by her side always, but after years of being together... it felt weird. It was time to grow up, you realized.

"Have fun then. I want to see pictures."

Waving them good-bye, you watched as they soon ventured away and out of sight. Sighing, you closed the door and turned back around to head into the living room. A certain adult was already there, looking over a stack of paperwork on the coffee table.

Plopping down onto the couch, you hugged one of the pillows close.

"How are you holding up kid?"

It was hard to put it into words. 

Was it selfish to want her to miss you? To feel just as lonely as you do? 

Eri seemed to be adapting better. 

She didn't hesitate to talk to Aizawa now, whereas you still haven't mumbled a word to him. 

The girl was now sleeping soundly in bed, while you stayed up late just staring at the ceiling, trying to escape the nightmares that plagued your mind.

It was exhausting. 

They had invited you to come along, but it felt weird. Personally, you didn't know Mirio or Deku that well. Maybe Deku more than Mirio due to the brief interaction the both of you had when facing Overhaul. 

But that was it. 

And so it felt wrong to tag along. Not when you felt like an outsider. 

Aizawa seemed to trust the two boys and had no problem with Eri going out with them, which reassured you.

"Okay I guess.  Feels lonely." 

He expected that. This was the first time you two would be apart. In a way, you had been raising Eri, watching over her and protecting her from harm. It must be rough now, letting her go with people you didn't know. 

"C'mon, follow me. We are going to train." 

...

The sound of feet scuttling against the thick material of the gym resonated throughout the semi-empty building.