chapter 20

Ten minutes.

Right on time, you were standing outside his room, ready to knock on the door.

Almost like he could sense your presence, the door was yanked open, and his gruff voice reached your ears, "Come in already."

Stepping inside, your eyes rapidly took in everything. The room was dark, with the curtains open letting in the moonshine, becoming the only source of light in the room. Still, in the dark you could detect the bed that was made, the comforter disrupted as if someone was laying on it. The shelf on his desk had small figurines of a bright hero. There were books laid open on his desk, with a book bag on the floor by the chair.

Various posters coated the wall by his desk, whether they were bands or movies or heroes, they added a nice touch to the room, making it seem more lively.

Bakugo was sitting on the edge of his bed, his crimson eyes watching you look around curiously and take a seat on the rug by his bed. He didn't know how to start, or what to say. It was an impulsive thing for him to invite you to his room, but there was so much to discuss.

The words died in his mouth.

Instead, he held an arm out. "Let me see."

His eyes pointed towards your arms which were covered by the sweater you had on. The only thing visible were the scars that littered your hands.

Wordlessly, you raised your arms up in his direction, curious to see why he was asking to see your hands. He moved forward, taking a seat on the floor with you so that you'd both be on the same level.

Eye to eye.

There was some hesitation in his movement, like he wasn't sure if it was okay for him to touch you. But one hard nod from you, and his fingers softly traced the scars.

Sparks.

Have you ever felt a breeze tickle the back of your neck causing you to shiver? It felt like that, an unexpected breeze that made your entire body shiver, but in a good way. Everything felt tingling, like you were high on a rush of adrenaline. But it was more than just that.

It felt overwhelming.

You felt at ease with the contact, like your body recognized that this was home.

But at the same time, you felt comfort. You felt happy. You felt alive.

He must be feeling the same way, based on how wide his eyes got and how his own body seemed to be responding to you.

"So it's true. You really are my soulmate."

Your gaze snapped up to his, a small frown on your face. "Did you think I was faking it or something?"

"No, I just thought it was too good to be true."

Gaping, your mouth opened and closed as you tried to think of something to say.

The same insecurity that plagued you at nights, wondering if you were good enough for them or if they would want you for you, even after being broken.

Bakugo seemed to be haunted by the same thoughts.

He took your silence as an opportunity to explain. "I am a terrible person." Self hatred dripped from his words. "I've done things that I'm not proud of, my own fucking pride caused me to be an annoying shit. I hurt people who cared for me, even now I push away people. You're too good for me."

The hand that was tracing the scars on your skin latched onto your wrist, like he was afraid you were going to bolt.

And honestly, he wouldn't be surprised.