The Unspoken Love Between Friends

Start from the beginning

They looked starstruck, it seemed like just hearing your voice scared them a little. You weren't a ghost or some kind of mythological creature from the depths of the underworld, so you didn't really understand why Vlad and Nadia looked like they were ready to book it.

You continued to talk carefully, stepping along the railing to face them, "What are you two doing here? I thought both of you were situated at basecamps on the outskirts of Liyue Harbour?"

Vlad glanced down at the other woman briefly before returning his gaze back to you, stuttering a little bit, "We work here... at the Northland Bank, remember?"

"O-Of course, I remember..." Your face exploded red, sighing heavily in response. "Well, if you guys are working at the Bank then why are you away from your posts...? You do know that you aren't being paid during your breaks, right?"

"Uh... I think the most important question here is..." Nadia pointed back nervously, shrinking against the man next to her. "W-What are you doing here, Secretary [Y/N]? Where have you been? And what are you wearing?!"

"That's right!" Vlad joined in. "Did you know that Harbinger Scaramouche ordered every single soldier to be on the lookout for you? He ordered the most elite agents to track down your location and would become furious whenever they failed their mission...! And you're just... here?! Did you not realize that the whole military is hunting for you?!"

Another awkward silence washed over the three of you. There was a frozen expression of confusion all over your face. You didn't know that Scaramouche sent out all the soldiers, you only knew about that war machine, that Cicin Mage, and Kliment. Were there actually more than you thought?

Then how come you only encountered three obstacles? The hijacked Ruin Guard managed to grab you by the waist and take two steps before being beaten down by the Traveller's party. Then, the Cicin Mage had the chance to immobilize you and even almost snatch you away before Xiangling's little partner torched the Mage's Electro shield. Finally, Fatui Agent Kliment happened to successfully kidnap you before being stopped by Chongyun just in time with his Spirit Blades.

Were there actually more that you didn't know of?

Perhaps the times when Lumine goes off to do her commissions, she is actually fighting off other Fatui soldiers who were tracking you down? Is that why she disappears often? How about the time when Xiangling and Xingqiu happened to leave to go get ingredients for the exorcist's popsicles and end up with only enough to make two, did they also fight off enemies? Is that why they came back so late with such few ingredients?

And the time when Chongyun asked to talk alone in a secluded area, was he actually bringing you away from the Geo Archon's Statue because he knew it would be a likely marker that would attract the Fatui soldiers' attention? And from there, they failed to find you again. Was that what actually happened? You didn't know for sure, but you doubt that they would tell you anyway.

"Secretary [Y/N]...?" Both Vlad and Nadia were waiting for you to respond.

You felt the need to change the subject, "Why are you two away from your posts? As your superior, it is my duty to tell you not to leave the Bank unguarded."

(In the middle of that rant, you wondered if you even had the authority to talk to them like that anymore.)

"Well, we requested to have short breaks between our shifts... and Vlad and I were just going out for an evening stroll around the Harbour..." Nadia tightened her arm around the man's bicep, cautiously leaning in. "Watching for incoming ships... Mail deliveries... That's all..."