Heyy!

i dont write fanfic as much as i used to, mainly because i write my own original stories now. i have a site that i publish them (which im posting on my account)

heres the first chapter of one of the literal books im halfway through writing

if you want to read it, i would be grateful. you can also give me feedback at my email [i'll probably give you my discord lol because email is hard to keep up with sometimes]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you crazy?!" I was carrying a child, maybe six or seven years old. I didn't respond to them, only roughly handing the kid to one of the many bystanders watching the whole scene unfold. It should have been simple. There was a house fire, we went in to get the woman trapped inside. It was routine for us to rescue people, we were called the Guardians for a reason. "Rose, are you okay?" Atlas got up in my face. Ashes sticking to their face and small pieces settling on strands of their blonde hair. On the way out a board had fallen onto my arm, I didn't dare look at it. It hurt to breathe, I was still coughing so it wasn't like I could talk. My arm felt like it had been set on fire along with the building. They caught me by my arms, releasing me to fall to the ground when I yelped from the pain.

"That looks bad." a man said. He came to stand at our sides while Atlas sank to their knees to try and help me.

"No shit." Atlas mumbled it, only loud enough for me to hear. I could tell they wanted to snap at the man, but that was a sure fire way to get screamed at by someone in a couple of days.

"Is he okay?" I choked on my own words, making them barely audible. God, I can't let another person die like that, not after everything. I was blocking out the pain, I was worried about that little boy. He bit me when I first picked him up, I still had the mark on my thumb.

"He's going to be fine, some smoke inhalation but not much of it."

We had gotten the woman out of the blaze, but she was unconscious. It wasn't until we were leaving the building that I heard a child cry for help. Atlas was my partner, and I gave them no warning that I was going back in. I had lost enough people lately, I wasn't ready to let someone lose their child. Especially not when it was because we were not fast enough.

"Can you stand?" Atlas kept eye contact, taking one of their hands to lift my head to keep my eyes on them. I nodded, though I'm not sure how far my legs would have carried me. A few seconds later I leaned forward, resting my head on their shoulder. My breathing was heavy, I had barely been able to breathe for five minutes. "I'm carrying you, you won't make it all the way back to Algiz and we need to get your arm looked at as soon as possible."

"That was so stupid!" Archer said from the doorway, leaning on the frame. "I can't believe you risked that much! You could have died!" I wanted to laugh, he was right.

"She saved a life, Archer, calm down." Alana was sitting next to me, treating the blackened and blistering burn on my upper arm. She calmly wrapped the cloth around my arm, careful not to put too much pressure on it. "I'm not exactly happy she went in there without Atlas either, but you have to think about the situation. You know you would have done the same thing."

"I would have told Atlas where I was going." Archer was pacing between my bed and the doorway, clearly frustrated and worried. I knew he would be, I was his best friend.

"It wasn't that bad." Atlas cut in from their seat next to me, letting me squeeze their hand while Alana finished her work. "I was busy, I wouldn't have been able to go in any way." Atlas wasn't really 'busy', they were just checking on the woman we had pulled out of the fire. She was unconscious, we were in the middle of nowhere and no one knew anyone in the house. We had no way of knowing that there was a child until he screamed. I still remember that rush I got. There was no hesitation, I just turned around and ran back inside. Bad idea from everyone else's point of view, but I would rather die than let a child burn to death.