Chapter 7: Day 3

Maria slowly opened her eyes at the start of another day, and smiled at that fact.

"At least the nightmares are over," she thought as she rubbed her eyes.

"Well, this place is also a nightmare too,"

She glanced at the clock.

"It's 7:50 already! No breakfast today then,"

She rushed to get ready for the day, walked out the door, and bumped straight into Alexander.

"Ow," they both said.

As she was rubbing her forehead, she looked up into his eyes. They had the normal mix of irritation and boredom, but with a small hint of. . .guilt?

"Are you alright?" she blurted out without thinking.

He stared back at her. "I'm not supposed to say that!"

"I'm fine," he answered curtely.

"But are you alright from last night?" he asked.

Now it was her turn to be shocked. "I'm fine," she lied.

"Good," he looked more relaxed. "It won't happen again,"

With that he started walking away, and she hurried after him.

"Well, I was hoping for an apology," she thought "But that's probably as good as I'll get from him,"

She made it to her Language Arts class just in time. Professor Twilight looked at her disapprovingly, but that wasn't new.

"Ehm, it is now time for your first serious writing assignment," she proclaimed to the class.

Groans filled the air until she smacked her staff down on her desk.

"None of you should be complaining, the assignment should be easy for even the dumbest of you. A simple four paragraph essay on what you did during the summer. Everyone here should be able to do that by next Wednesday,"

The class seemed to accept it more, and she even heard some talking about what they were going to write.

"But what did Maria do over the summer?" she thought. "Does the game ever tell?"

She racked her brain, but she couldn't think of even one example.

"Hopefully I can make a lie good enough to pass as believable,"

The rest of class she spent writing down the example essays. It was less complicated than she thought, but she would still need some practice.

She hurried off to History class and slid in her seat just as the bell rang.

"Today marks the day we will start with our year long goal of learning the history of this great nation of Lorithla. To learn the birth of this great nation, we first need to learn the rise and fall of the nation before it: Agrascota,"

There were some groans around the class, but from the far corner of the eye she saw Prince Jack straighten up.

"He's the prince, he probably knows everything about the kingdom. He would make a good tutor, but that's not happening any time soon,"

Math was the same as the days before. She did manage to not fall asleep, though the desire was hard to fight.

Alexander seemed a bit down as he walked her to the library, but she managed to keep quiet and not ask what's wrong.

"I need to keep my act up," she reminded herself. "Though it might not matter as much, I've already broken it numerous times before,"

"Since we started late yesterday, we need to get extra work done today," Sato explained when he met them at the entrance of the library.