Chapter 3: First Day part 3

She was once again put in her own desk away from everyone else. Fewer students came in, and some were already testing out their magic, making small clouds of dark shadows.

She noticed that Mason was in the class too, but luckily he sat far away from her.

She still didn't feel relieved until the teacher came into the room. They were an old man, with a stern face and cold, purple eyes, dark brown skin, and gray dreads.

"I am Mr. Hemlock," he said in a booming voice. "And this year I will make you all poison masters,"

"But what if I'm already a master?" Mason asked with a smirk. The rest of class turned to look at him, while Maria just stared down at her desk.

Mr. Hemlock didn't look impressed, and he pursed his lips before talking.

"Well Mr. Winceforce, if you are so competent why don't you come up here and give a demonstration to the class?" 

Mason paused for a second, but he gave a cocky smile and strolled up to the front of the class.

"What would you like me to do?" he asked.

"Let's start off with a simple spell. Make a pint of poison appear," Maria peaked her head up

"That's easy," Mason chanted a simple spell and a small ball of purple liquid appeared in his hands.

"Hmmm, good. But now can you make it multiply?" Mr. Hemlock asked.

Mason scoffed, and small blobs of purple liquid came out of the first.

"Will you be giving me something challenging to do?" he asked.

"Fine," Mr. Hemlock said. "Make a weapon out of the poison, any weapon will do, as long as it's stable,"

Mason made a small knife out of the poison, and twirled it around his fingers.

"Anything else?" he asked.

"Yes," Mr. Hemlock said. "Fight me with it,"

The class started whispering. "Is that allowed?" someone said.

"It is allowed," Mr. Hemlock boomed. "Now will you fight me Mr. Winceforce?"

The class went silent as they waited for Mason's answer.

"I'm ready when you are," he said.

For the first time that class, Mr. Hemlock smiled.

"Let's begin,"

The fight was over sooner than she expected. Mason certainly put up a good fight, and Mr. Hemlock looked mildly impressed at some of his attacks.

But no flashy moves or clever tricks was able to defeat Mr. Hemlock. He dodged each attack with ease and his sword overpowered Mason's knife.

Finally Mason was thrown to the grown and he relented, and shouted "I yield!"

Mr. Hemlock turned to the rest of the class.

"Take this as a lesson to never overestimate yourself," he boomed.

Mason got up from the ground and dusted himself off. He made his way back to his seat and Mr. Hemlock went back to his desk.

"Now that you all had some fun watching one of your fellow classmates lose, let's get started with the lesson,"

"I want everyone to make a small ball of poison,"

Maria looked down at her hand and tried forming the ball, but she just couldn't do it, no matter how much she tried.

"Come on," she muttered as she tried and failed again.

By now the rest of the class had made theirs, and now all their eyes were on her. She couldn't see him, but she was willing to bet that Mason was smirking.

"Is there a problem Mrs. Bonaparte?" Mr. Hemlock asked.

"I-I'm fine, sir," She said quietly.

He moved closer to her and she shrunk back.

"You clearly aren't," he stated. "You will come to tutoring next week if you want to pass this class,"

She nodded, and he turned his attention to the rest of the class. He continued the lesson by showing the class how to multiply the ball. She spent the rest of the class writing it down, in hopes that it will help her later.

The bell rang, and she could feel their eyes watching her as everyone left the room.

Luckily Mr. Hemlock didn't say anything as she walked out of the classroom, but she could tell he was staring at her too.

Alexander was there to walk her to her next class, Space manipulation magic.

Most of the class was already there, but surprisingly the professor wasn't. She noticed in the opposite corner that Blake was there.

They locked eyes for a brief second, and she quickly looked back down at her desk.

"I wish the teacher would just come here and do their job," she thought.

That's when the professor appeared. With a poof of smoke they appeared on top of their desk.

They wore a dark blue coat that covered most of their body. They had long silver hair that tumbled down the coat, and large spectacles that framed their face.

"Hello, I am Professor Izar, and today we will go over the basics of space magic!" They clapped their hands before falling back on their chair.

"Everyone turn to chapter one, page one,"

Some students groaned at that, but Maria felt relieved. She wrote down everything the professor said.

Soon the class was over, and now she was on her way to the last class of the day, and the worse one, the Fighting class.